Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Request Type when changing Issue Type

Luke Ryan May 25, 2021

Hi Atlassian community, 

As with most people, our fields and screens are configured based on the Request Type. We wish to be able to change [System] Service Request to [System] Incident. The transition works fine but post-transition the field layout isn't accurate as the Request Type defaults to null. 

I understand that we can't make this happen as part of that transition because at that point in time, the issue is still a [System] Service Request. I've tried to automate the process to trigger when the Issue Type changes and then equals [System] Incident, but the 'Edit issue fields: Request Type' errors as JSM doesn't provide an API for this. (Screenshot below). 

JSM Req Type.PNG

Is anybody aware of a workaround for this as we don't want to have to manually assign the only Incident Request Type we have each time we change an issue. 

Thanks,

Luke

1 answer

0 votes
Luke Ryan May 25, 2021

@Andy Hockenhull for visibility.

Justin Warwick May 25, 2021

Sadly: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/How-to-setup-default-Service-Desk-request-types/qaq-p/237536

We have an on-prem install, and I tested the workaround suggested by @Mark Allen with partial success. It only accounts for when an issue is created from scratch. As in  your case, we have issues that had the wrong issue type initially, and you need to change the issue type, however I don't think there is an event trigger for issue type change, but you might be able to have an additional trigger of "status change" and look for the customer request type value. One additional catch: "No match" can be the result of customer request type being NULL/EMPTY, but it *also* can be a "No match" when it is still populated with the customer request type from the prior Issue type (which happens to not be valid for new issue type). So: you will probably want your IF condition on the rule to look for IS EMPTY OR the origin issue type's customer request type.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events