Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup default Service Desk request types?

Kevin Ramm January 30, 2015

We're about to migrate from Redmine to JIRA and I have about 50 projects that require a Service Desk. Is it possible to make a default "Request Types" that will be consistent across all 50 projects? I don't want to have to go in and 1 by one make them the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kevin

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2015

There is no way to do that at this time.

Ouch, that is brutal. Thanks for the reply though.

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2015

So we have an open feature request for the ability to clone request types: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-1317 and I have gone ahead and filed one for the ability to set defaults: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-1436

Thanks @Boris Berenberg !

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2015

I agree. This is very painful.

Rory Bernard August 16, 2016

Oh wow. Thats a lot of work  and consistency management for every new project. 

Matthew Learoyd October 3, 2018

So, I am assuming that, based on the comment 3 1/2 years later in June of 2018, that there no communication or plan from Jira regarding this? 

1 vote
Mark Allen March 11, 2019

Whilst a bit of a hack, I used an automation rule to achieve the same effect.

When: Issue Created

If these match: "Customer Request Type" is EMPTY

Then do this: Set Request Type to what you want

Hope this helps someone.

Justin Warwick May 25, 2021

In case you are new to all this automation stuff, this will be a "Custom Rule" and after you select the If condition of "Issue Matches" you have to go down to the "Advanced" link to switch to a "JQL" query instead of pickers to put in Mr. Allen's matching expression. You may also want to add in an "AND issuetype = Incident" to the matching expression (or whatever your major issue types are) if you happen to want different defaults for different major issue types (which isn't quite what @Edward Vitalos meant, but in conjunction with that, you might end up with several automation rules to create!). It might also be a good idea to throw in some more restricting conditions like only unresolved issues to avoid unexpected matches down the road.

1 vote
Michelle Onizuka June 18, 2018

Has this been updated or added to Jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2018

No change yet.  Sorry.

Michael Onizuka June 19, 2018

Is there another way of doing this that I am missing?

Edward Vitalos September 5, 2018

You can resolve this issue in JIRA Service Desk projects by setting up a custom rule under the Automation settings so that when a request for support is emailed in and the issue is created it sets the request type to IT Help. If you have multiple service desk projects you would just have to setup the automation rule in each one.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Ryan Cauldwell April 21, 2021

3 years later, no relief. Now, there's not even the ability to solve this with automation... How can this be so hard?

DanRymo June 3, 2021

This has caused belated support to customers for us! Incredible that the API doesn't support this field for editing through Jira Automation, so that we in the very least can make our own workarounds. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events