Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two service desk communications (jira and non-jira)

Robert Szøke January 25, 2023

We have two service desks (one internal and one external that is not Jira based) that we want to communicate with each other, no API or 3rd party app is used as we don’t have the time or manpower to develop this so we’ve come up with the following communication flow:

• We added the non jira service desk email account as a customer.
    • Once a ticket is created on this customer an email is sent to the other service desk
  • They have added our service desk project email (not jira@...) as a customer on their end.
    • Once they receive the ticket they send a ticket back confirming that a ticket has been created in their system.

This works, but with a huge but, this setup causes a loop, as a new ticket is created in our jira service desk when a reply is sent, and not added as a comment in the original ticket.

Their service desk does alter the subject/topic by adding their own ticketing system ID there, but ours is still there.

So my question is: Where is jira can I configure the rule for incoming emails to the service desk so that new tickets will be added to the already existing ticket, and not a new one created?

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

Hi @Robert Szøke 

If you are using the built-in JSM email handler, then Jira should automatically add any email with the appropriate issue key on the subject to an existing one. So e.g. if you email has the subject "This is a request for ABC-123" and ABC-123 is a valid issue key in your JSM project, should automatically place the email as a comment within this issue.

If your email doesn't have an issue key on the subject, or it can have a special character which could possibly obstruct the email handler from finding the key, a new issue will be created. 

Robert Szøke January 26, 2023

Hello,

Is there a way to configure how the issue key is read? As it might be picking up the other service desk's ID first.

How that email subject is written: "Ticket Updated - _Ref_Num:SD(their ticket number here) SD-(our ticket number here)

So I think I'll need to configure it to react to "SD-" and not just "SD" as it appears to be doing at the moment.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events