Tempo Timesheet View developers time.

Gene Johnston June 21, 2021

Only our staff enters time in Tempo timesheets.  We have customers who want to view the developers time but we don't want them to be allowed to change any entries.

How can I configure the project to have it function as described?

Thanks,

Gene

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

Hi, @Gene Johnston - if I'm understanding correctly, you

1. Have a Jira instance that your internal staff, including developers, logs time in via Tempo
  2. You have external customers who have access to this Jira instance
  3. You want those external customers to be able to see time logs, but not change them or add their own

If that's correct, you can accomplish this with Tempo's Permission Roles. Go to Tempo's settings, and click on Permission Roles in the left sidebar.

You'd then click Add Permission Role (not visible in the screenshot, but it's at the top right of the screen.) You'll give your new role a name (Customer Read-Only, maybe), and choose the permissions they should have. In this case, it would be View Worklogs only (View Team is checked by default and not uncheckable, as you need to be able to view a team to be able to see its worklogs.)

2021-06-21 16_44_08-Tempo - Jira.png

Add your customers to the Role Users by clicking the "+ Add users" link; unfortunately you'll need to add each one individually, as there's currently no way to add Jira access groups. Once you have all your users, close the modal and choose Restricted or Full (seen in the background right below the modal). Restricted allows you to choose which teams the role can access; Full provides the role access to all existing Tempo teams. Then click the blue checkmark to save.

2021-06-21 16_49_54-Tempo - Jira.png

If different customers should see different teams, you'll need to set up multiple roles using the Restricted option, with the customers and internal Tempo teams they should be able to see.

Gene Johnston June 23, 2021

Esther,

I have made the configuration changes you have suggested but it seems that our Client can only see time in Tempo and not in worklogs in Jira.  Is that the best we can do?

Thanks,

Gene

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2021

The time you see in Tempo *is* the Jira worklog. Are you saying that you want your customers to be able to look at a single Jira ticket and see the Tempo gadget? This is difficult for me to test because of how our permissions are set up, but I believe you'd need to make sure they have either the View All Worklogs or View Issue Hours permission in your project(s)'s permission scheme. This could get messy if you require different customers to view different projects; you'd either have to use a project role in the permission scheme and then set the individual customers in each project, or have separate permission schemes for each project.

2021-06-23 15_00_28-Project Web 2.0 FE - Phase 2 - Project Permissions - Jira - Vivaldi.png

Using the Tempo interface is much more configurable, and it's easy for your customers to set up custom reports for themselves if they only want to view the data on a handful of tickets.

Like # people like this
Gene Johnston June 28, 2021

Esther

I just wanted to thank you for your help with this issue.

We are able to handle this through Tempo instead of Jira.

Thanks again,

Gene

0 votes
Hyrum Steffensen _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2021

Hello Gene!

Why not create a report that can be sent to the customers? I will post an example using Power Scripts, but you can use any automation plugin found on the Atlassian Marketplace.

First, a basic script to get all the hours worked for a user:

interval totalHours;
for(number id in getWorklogIdsForUser(currentUser(), key)) {
    totalHours += getWorklogLoggedHours(id);
}

runnerLog(totalHours);

Now a bit more complicated, using jql and then printing to HTML:

string user = currentUser();

string jql = "project = EX";
string [] issues = selectIssues(jql);

interval totalHours;
for (string issue in issues) {
    for(number id in getWorklogIdsForUser(user, issue)) {
        totalHours += getWorklogLoggedHours(id);
    }
}

printInFile("report.html", "<html><body>");
printInFile("report.html", "User: " + userKeyToUsername(user) + " Total Time: " + totalHours);
printInFile("report.html", "</html></body>");

Options for this report include:

Please let me know how it goes!

Regards,

Hyrum

Due to Confluence Cloud security features, you may need to open the documentation in incognito mode or by logging out of Confluence.

Please note that I am a Product Engineer for Power Scripts and that I work for Anova Apps (Appfire).

Gene Johnston June 23, 2021

Hyrum,

Thanks for the suggestion.  That may be a last resort for us as we'd like to be able to view the historical time in the context of the Issue.

Thanks,

Gene

Hyrum Steffensen _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2021

Those are some great suggestions as posted by Ester! It looks like you have some great options available.

Regards,

Hyrum

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events