Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System field's default value not displayed in customer portal

IT Support Experience November 23, 2022

Running JSM on a DC license, I have the system field 'Description' and a custom field 'Custom Description', both Text/multi-line.

When providing a default value for the custom field the value is correctly displayed on the customer portal (JSDSERVER-1295 was marked as fixed). 

However, when adding a context to the system field, this default value is NOT shown on the customer portal.

1. Why is that?
  2. How can it be fixed?

1 answer

0 votes
Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2022

Hi @IT Support Experience

From the link you shared, it seems that the problem is not solved.

Anyway, as a workaround, I would create an automation that fills your custom field with your input if it is empty.

description.png

Would this work for you or did I misunderstand your request?

IT Support Experience November 27, 2022

Hey @Patrik Korovsky

this is indeed a good idea, however does not solve my problem I think.

I don't want the default text be visible after the ticket is created, but before.

Like: Someone opens the customer portal, clicks on a request type and the description field is populated with some text ("We need the following information from you: bla bla"). Then the person can edit the default text and finally create the ticket.

I hope my use-case is a bit more clear now ;) 

Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2022

It sounds like you might benefit from https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/what-are-forms/

example_default.png

example_user.png

However, I do not recommend using a default answer, but instead explaining it in the description of the field.

IT Support Experience November 28, 2022

Hi @Patrik Korovsky 

this is just available for Cloud, correct? We are using DC licesne.

Patrik Korovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2022

Hi @IT Support Experience ,

Yes this is only integrated for Cloud.
For DC the "ProForma" (Now Forms for Jira) remains in the marketplace https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/proforma

In that case, I would recommend that you stick to the field description in Request Types -> Request Form -> "Your Field" and make it mandatory. In my experience, this is better because the customer has all the information in the field description on the portal and cannot proceed without filling it in. From my point of view the result is the same, do you have a different opinion?

If you go the route of pre-filled information, you would risk the customer skipping or missing this part.

Unfortunately, there is no way I know of that comes built into JSD that would allow you to prefill a field without hiding it.

IT Support Experience November 28, 2022

If the user doesn't fill the Description field, his issue will be removed, no problem.

Buying the totally overpriced AddOn for getting a feature that is already part of Cloud is no option either. We won't pay for addition software as long as the already purchased software doesn't work...

My main question still remains:

Why is the context I added to a system field (Description) working fine when working in Jira (opening a ticket via the 'Create' button) and not working when used in combination with JSM??

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events