Similar requests - what do you guys think about this?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2021

So I noticed the other day this new panel for similar requests in my JSM tickets. It may have been there for a while but it is the first time I noticed it. I was playing with it a bit and found limited documentation.

I'm wondering if this is going to evolve where we can actually take actions on similar request such as merging them or easily marking as duplicates etc. My question to anyone that has been looking at this is what information do you have about this and how effective do you find the algorithm for finding similar requests? Unless I missed it there are no configuration options other than to turn it on and off is that the case?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2021

HI @Jack Brickey ,

Thanks so much for taking the time to ask this question. I actually work with the team that built the feature and we're looking to get feedback on it. 

If you are able, we'd love it if you could complete this quick survey, or just let me know if you'd like to have a chat. 

We are aware that the feature is still in its infancy, so looking to understand how we could improve this to better meet your needs. 

Would love to hear from you,

Jehan Gonsalkorale

Product manager, Jira Service Management

sivaskanthan.jegatheswaran December 21, 2021

Hi @Jehan Gonsalkorale ,

I would love this panel/feature to be added to the Service Desk, such that when users are reporting an issue - they can see if the issue has already been reported and don't necessarily duplicate the issue. 

Is this possible with this panel? Now or planned for the future? 

Thanks,

Siva

Like James Clark likes this
Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2022

Hi @sivaskanthan.jegatheswaran , thanks for your input! That is, unfortunately, not possible at this time but one of many things we are looking into. This is a new feature that we want to test and learn with. Your feedback will help us understand how we can improve this. 

I'll provide updates in time as we improve this capability. 

Hope you're starting the year well,

Jehan Gonsalkorale

Product manager, Jira Service Management

Like James Clark likes this
sivaskanthan.jegatheswaran January 20, 2022

Hi @Jehan Gonsalkorale ,

Thank you for the response and great to hear the team is looking into this. Wish you a fruitful new year.

Thank you,

Siva

Radmila Tsvietkovych January 30, 2023

Hi @Jehan Gonsalkorale ,

Is there any news on the feature described above?

Thank you,

Radmila

Like # people like this
1 vote
Manja Vogel-Kautz September 17, 2021

I'm also trying to find out, how this works. Atm it's not finding any similar requests, not even those with the same summary. So it's pretty much useless from users point of view.

0 votes
mararn1618 _secretbakery.io_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 16, 2021

Pic for reference:

sdly1vcgqox61.png

I have also noticed the panel a while ago in two places (Queue Overview & Ticket Bottom) and already tried to discuss that on Reddit, but people didn't have a strong opinion.

I didn't find the feature very useful as of today - mainly for two reasons:

• It doesn't find all similar requests I'm looking for
  • It doesn't give hints about HOW similar tickets are (not very similar vs very similar) and WHY they are related (same topic? 1-to-1 copy? email reply?)

I did talk to @Pedro Mateus Silva Schawirin from an OPs perspective on this JSM feature (since he was looking for a solution here), and I remember that it didn't work for their team either, but I don't remember why. Maybe he can remind us. :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2021

Thanks for the reply. Indeed I wish there was more information on the algorithm used. I would also really appreciate the ability to configure this in some manner to make it more effective and ideally it would have some AI behind the scenes. I may reach out to Atlassian to get more info.

Like # people like this
mararn1618 _secretbakery.io_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 16, 2021

I now remembered that Atlassian has announced stuff like this under the brand "Atlassian Smarts" and there even is a community for it:

You may want to post in that community, but tbh it looks pretty dead. :)

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Hines Trulock July 14, 2022

@Jack Brickey I too would love to know how it's searching.  We are close to releasing JSM to our support team and it would be good to be able to explain this feature in greater detail.  

Chris McCullough July 15, 2022

@Hines Trulock take a look at this article about Atlassian Smarts. There's a section about the Similar Requests near the bottom where they list Labels, Components and Versions as some of the things they're cross referencing to predict "the top five suggestions".

In my own Jira Service Management site I'm using Labels (which are auto-applied using Automation from keywords during create/edit) and Versions but this feature doesn't work for me. I honestly haven't given a lot of time to troubleshooting it either.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events