Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Jira board for the first time- Adding Backlog link to the board

Deleted user July 12, 2021

I am setting up my Jira board for a project for the first time. How do I add the option Backlog to the board. I see the other fields in my left navigation panel such as issues. I do not have a backlog link option on my board.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2021

JSM doesn’t offer a backlog board concept. This is typically used in software projects or even business projects. Now, you could create that concept on your JSM project. My suggestion of how to do this would depend on more information from you.

• Why do you want a backlog for a JSM project?
  • What scenarios would you want to put issues into the back wall?
  • What about creating a queue for your backlog issues?

How do I create a queue for backlog issues? In my other boards, I have a  link in the left navigation to select for Backlog

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2021

Arcolia, as I indicated the Concept of a backlog especially in the form of a board is foreign to JSM. How are you define the backlog Q depends on how you define backlog at all in this GSM project. For example maybe you have a unique status called “backlog“. In this example you might define the queue simply as - status = backlog and statuscategory != done. Again as I stated I need to understand what backlog means to you in this project. When do you put something into the backlog or maybe every new issue goes to the backlog directly?

The issues/epics are created, but I do not have a link to the backlog on my board.

I usually have on other boards a link to the Backlog in this navigation. How do I add it to this navigation?

Screenshot

The backlog link is usually displayed on my left navigationCapture7.12.PNG

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2021

Have you already created a board? If so, of which type (Kanban/Scrum)?
From the first option "Board" I seem to recognize there is no board yet.

In case there is a board of type "Kanban" you can switch to Board settings (Board >> Board Settings). There you can pull a status to "Kanban backlog".
Then a separate backlog appears.

The said is valid for a company-managed project - please double check and let us know what you are seeing.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events