Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting an Insight Object field to have a default value

Jason Beveridge November 4, 2022

I have an insight object field in Jira called Primary Affected CI. I have set this as a required field within my project. I have a bit of an issue with a Zendesk integration as this is not able to display the Insight field when creating an issue, so agents are unable to create the issue due to the required field being empty (as it isn't even able to be displayed on the screen). I've reached out to Zendesk but no dice.

One way around this for me would be to be able to set a default value against this field in the event that the field isn't displayed on the screen - but I can't seem to locate an option for this.

Has anybody else had success in setting a default value for an insight field in Jira? I've seen options for using Automation to update the field but was hoping to only use that as a last resort.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Frederic Chartrand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2022

Hi @Jason Beveridge 

To set a default value in an Insight field, you need to go to the screen where you see all your custom fields (Cog icon - Issues - Custom fields)

Then, for the field you want to set a default value, click the 3 dots at the end of the line and choose "Contexts and default values". There, you'll be able to click the link that says Edit Assets object/s field configuration and turn on the option at the bottom :

Capture d’écran, le 2022-11-04 à 08.14.36.jpg

But ... There's 3 things to keep in mind :

1. If you set the field as required in your Field Configuration Scheme, this is not a good idea to not put the field on certain forms. You should set the field as Optional and when you create your forms, you can check an option for this field to be Required only on this form.
  2. You can't hide an Insight custom field with a value in it in a Form in JSM cloud. This feature has been requested but for now it's not possible.
  3. An Automation rule would be an easy way to fix your problem. Don't put the field at "Required" and create an Automation rule that looks like this :
    1. Capture d’écran, le 2022-11-04 à 08.23.56.jpg

Hope this helps

Have a nice day

Capture d’écran, le 2022-11-04 à 08.29.06.jpg

Jason Beveridge November 4, 2022

Thanks @Frederic Chartrand for responding. I had played with this toggle but could not find where to actually set the default value… what am I missing? 

Like Helena Havtun likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events