Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricted Service Management Approach

Nikolaos Vlachos October 5, 2023

Hello Everyone,

We are in the process of making our Service Desk transition to JIRA and we want to have two portals with two different views one will be only for students with basic requests and then we will have one for internal issues from the company employees 

I am not sure how to achieve that other than restricting the internal project and then manually adding users to the people section ( Is that going to count towards our product license if they are assigned the customer service customer role? ) 

So far it seems to work but the main problem is how to manage the internal users. From my understanding I will need to manually add each one to the restricted project. Is there a better way to have the desired result?

1 answer

0 votes
Esteban Diaz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2023

Hi @Nikolaos Vlachos , 

In JSM you have 2 different kind of users: Agents and Customers.

Agents: are the users who work on the back end, attending the Customers requests. This kind of users need a Jira License (you will need to pay for each one)

Customers: are the users that can access to the JSM portals and ask for help creating tickets. This kind of users do not pay any license, these are for free and you can add as many as you want.

To offer a different list request types to your Students or Company users (JSM Customers), you can create two different JSM Projects, this will create two different JSM portals in your JSM Service Portal.

And then you can add add and define manually the Agents and Customer for each one.

Untitled - JSM1 (1).jpg

From from Users Management menu, you can invite your users and specify if they are invited as Agent, Customer or both,

user1.PNG

user2.PNG

After this step you can go to each of your JSM projects and add the invited users to the corresponding role.

user3.png

user4.PNG

Does it make sense? 

Cheers!

Esteban Diaz
https://www.linkedin.com/in/estebandiaz/ 

Nikolaos Vlachos October 9, 2023

Hi Esteban, 

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

We have already created the projects. The problem is that if we invite our students they will also be able to view the Company portal. We will be connecting our SSO so they will be able to login without an invite. 

The main thing I am trying to solve is how to hide the Company portal from the student customers without having to manually add all our employees customers to the "People" Section.

Employees Customers Portal View

image.png

Student Customer Portal View

image.png

Let me know if you have any ideas on how we can achieve that without manually adding all 2000 employees. :) 

Kind Regards

Nikos

Esteban Diaz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2023

Hi @Nikolaos Vlachos , 

If you invite your students as customers on the Students Project, they wont be able to see the Company's portal.

Only if the same Customer is added on both projects will be able to access to both portals.

And yes, it´s a manual process unless you've got your users in some directory like Azure Active Directory  ... in that case you'll be able to sync your users with Jira, but to accomplish this, Atlassian Access is needed.

Cheers, 

Esteban

Nikolaos Vlachos November 29, 2023

Hi @Esteban Diaz , 

We have already established the portal-only SSO login from our Azure Active Directory. to Jira service management portal. We do have Atlassian access. 

Is the sync you mention going to add the users and create an Atlassian account?( with a license) Or is it going to be only adding them to the people section of the restricted project and not taking up any license? 

If the second option is what will happen will you be able to let me know how we can achieve that sync? 

Thank you for your time

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events