cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required Field breaks Automation

Jacques B July 28, 2022

I have created the following Automation (Rule) in my Project:

2022-07-28 11_58_01-Automation - Jira.png

In the Then: portion I also set the Parent Issue equal to the Trigger Issue.

Just to clarify"

L10 Meeting is my parent issue (#1 in image)

L10 Scorecard is my subtask (#2 in image)

This worked very well until I made a field which is present in the parent, a required field. During the Create I do specify the field's value, but I get the following error:

2022-07-28 13_05_57-Automation - Jira.png

The result is that the Parent is still being created, but the subtask is not. the required Field, DevOps, is not part of the subtask's screen (there is only one screen).

Can anyone please help as to why my Automation no longer works?

The reason I made the DevOps field required, is to ensure that the screen is shown upon the creation of other subtasks with this field. This has the desired effect.

I got the advise here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Workflow-screen-pop-up-during-sub-task-creation/qaq-p/2089122

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2022

Hi @Jacques B 

as you mentioned there is only one screen I assume there is no issue type screen scheme configured. Therefore: the 1 existing screen is valid for all issue type. So to say: if a field in the screen scheme is required it‘s required for all issue types.

I would suggest to configure different screen schemes and associate them to the specific issue types in the issue type screen scheme. see the link to the documentation:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-issue-type-screens/

Hope i got your requirement correctly and this was helpful.

Best
Stefan

Jacques B July 28, 2022

@Stefan Salzl thanks for the feedback.

I actually meant there is only one screen for the issue type (for all the actions: create, edit and view).

I do have individual Screen Schemes setup for all the issue types.

In my Field View Configuration (below) the you can see that the DevOps field is not configured to the L10 Scorecard screen.

2022-07-29 08_38_46-View Field Configuration - Jira.png

As mentioned before, the L10 Scorecard is created with an Automation when the L10 Meeting is created. However, the moment I make the DevOps field required, this automation fails.

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2022

Hi @Jacques B 

Please apologize my missleading answer. My bad :-/

It´s not a matter of the screen scheme but of the field configuration. If a field is set required in a field configuration and (only) this configuration is used in a project this is valid for the whole project.

This could be solved by setting up 2 different field configurations (1 where the field is required and 1 where it´s not) and then associating them to the according issue type in a field configuration scheme.

The following link explains this in more details:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-a-field-configuration-scheme/

Please let me know if this was helpful or if you have any further questions.

Best
Stefan

Jacques B August 2, 2022

Thank you @Stefan Salzl 

This is perfect.

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2022

AWESOME!!! great you got that working 👌🏼🥳

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events