Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request Types 'Hidden from Portal' still visible under customer Requests overview

Angie Thompson March 22, 2023

I have set up Request Types under the Internal Change Issue Type. I have hidden these Request Types from the Portals, as they are intended to be used as internal changes only so should not be visible to the end-user. 

While the Request Types are not visible for the customer to raise themselves, they are still visible when the customer goes to Requests, then uses the Request Type drop-down menu. 

The 'Hidden from Portal' does not do what I would expect it to. 

Does anyone have any ideas? 

RequestTypes-Hidden.JPG

Below you can see the types visible to the customer. 

RequestTypes-Portal.JPG

5 answers

0 votes
Andrew Mackler January 23, 2024

Hi @Angie Thompson  -

I had this issue come up again the other day and found that setting up "Issue Security Schemes" did the trick to prevent portal users from seeing tickets that they shouldn't see (internal tasks for example).

I hope this helps.

Andrew

0 votes
Andrew Mackler August 30, 2023

@Angie Thompson - I have a similar situation where we have issues that are converted from a 'visible' issue type to a Task issue type that we do not want to be visible via the customer portal.

I have found through some 'sandbox testing' that you can set up a manually triggered automation to clone the original issue, changing the issue type but leaving the request type empty for the cloned issue.  

I chose to manually trigger the automation during testing, but plan on automating the process for production.

0 votes
Marie Turner April 16, 2023

Thanks @Earl McCutcheon and @Paul Wiggers - is there an enhancement request thread that we can follow / vote on for this?

There are two distinct use cases here:

1. Request Types the customer shouldn't be able to compose from the Portal, but would need to see/interact with when they exist. Examples:
    1. Maintenance events that are initiated by us but which need customer approval
    2. Scheduled changes/upgrades
  2. Internal Request Types that a customer should never see or know about. Examples:
    1. Emailed request form - this is only available to internal employees, and I definitely don't want a customer to ever ask our Customer Success team why they can't email in a request. (Or worse, they just start sending emails trying to guess at what is connected to the helpdesk).
    2. Anything experimental that may or may not stick around.
    3. Internal cost accounting requests that go to our billing or procurement department. I'm sure customers realize we send things around internally, and we could try and move some of those out to other instances, but it works for us and the automations to keep everything in one place.

That list of forms they've never seen + the complete list of workflow statuses is very overwhelming. It's a usability issue but also a customer presentation issue: it can erode customer confidence that the helpdesk is serving their needs. It gives them the feeling that they've lost their way and stumbled on something that doesn't match up to the functions they're aware of.  

0 votes
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2023

I can replicate this as well.  Someone else wrote this up as a bug here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-8950

It was closed, but seems like it could be debated.  If 'Hidden from Portal' means just that, I would expect it to be hidden everywhere.  It either needs to be reworded to clarify the intent or fixed to be truly hidden.  @Paul Wiggers @Angie Thompson I would way in on the JIRA ticket.

I can't seem to figure out how to reopen a ticket.  I would suggest creating a new support ticket, referencing the old jira (it was closed a few years ago).  Then the discussion can continue there.  If you can, feel free to add me as a watcher.

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

I have forwarded this question to other community leaders. Hopefully, someone more knowledgable will be able to help out with this.

Stay tuned!

Angie Thompson March 23, 2023

Thank you both @Paul Wiggers  and @Dan Breyen - really appreciate your responses and assistance. 

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2023

Howdy Y'all,

I sent this information through to @Christopher Owen and the product team that put the note on the Bug mentioned above for review and follow-up where he noted:

I’m closing this as not a bug. Please re-open if there is disagreement.

We are reviewing this for follow-up, as there is definitely some room for improvement here in the feature, and I'll keep y'all posted on what course of action we will take for follow-up.

Regards,
Earl

Like # people like this
Angie Thompson March 24, 2023

Thank you @Earl McCutcheon 

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
0 votes
Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

Hello @Angie Thompson 

Thank you for your question. The last screenshot shows something different than a customer portal. This looks like it comes from within JSM itself. 

For example, when I use the customer portal, it looks like this:

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 17.31.58.png

Just to be sure, what is the URL you are using to access your customer portal? It should look something like this: https://[INSTANCENAME].atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals

Right now, it looks like you are trying to access through the JSM agent portal which has the URL https://[INSTANCENAME].atlassian.net/jira/servicecedesk/projects/[PROJECTCODE]/

Could you verify that you are indeed trying to use the correct portal? The easiest way to reach the portal is by going to the project > Channels > Help Center > Open

Please let me know.

Angie Thompson March 22, 2023

Hi @Paul Wiggers

Thanks for your quick response. I can confirm it's definitely the customer portal.

Where that screen shot is taken from is here, under Requests.

Portal-Homepage.JPG

Then the filter by Request Type. Portal-Requests.JPG
Thank you 

Angie 

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

Aha, in the customer request overview. To be honest, I haven't noticed this before but it seems that this is unwanted, to say the least. You can also see all the workflow statuses over all the different projects, something which shouldn't be the case as well in my opinion.

I am currently occupied but I will try to look into this later tonight. Perhaps someone else can chip in as well in the mean time.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events