Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Reply-to” headers

joanabrandao December 14, 2021

Hello 
Do you have an option on Jira's email settings to "preserve email headers" or set "Reply-to" headers?

thank you.

2 answers

1 vote
Mark Dranovsky March 13, 2023

Here’s a sort of workaround. In Atlassian settings > Emails, configure your email domain and the email addresses you want to use (e.g. support@mydomain.com.)

In your JSM project settings, go to notifications, and set it to send notifications from that email address.

Emails now go out from "Project name" <support@mydomain.com> - BUT - the reply-to: header is hardcoded as <projectkey@myinstance.atlassian.net> - with no way to change or remove it.

In your project settings, go to email requests, and link a real (gmail, in my case) account of the same name - support@domain.com - to the project. JSM picks up messages from that mailbox, processes them, and responds with headers in this format:

reply-to: "support@mydomain.com" <support@mydomain.com>

The reply-to is a) unnecessary and b) ugly, using the email address in the realname field, but at least it works!

Caveat - this only seems to work if you let Jira collect email from the linked gmail inbox. Using gsuite advanced mail routing to forward emails to the atlassian project email address puts the atlassian address in the reply-to

NB I was worried this would send out a ton of emails and exceed my gmail sending limit, but in spite of giving Jira read and send permissions on the gmail account, it only reads the emails, and sends outbound through the Atlassian/AWS infrastructure.

Hopefully that helps someone!

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2021

Hi,

It's not currently possible to change the reply-to header in a message sent from Jira Service Management, nor is there an option for preserving these headers.  However we do have a feature request for this over in JSDCLOUD-8482.

It might be possible to achieve this through an add-on from our Marketplace, although I have not found a specific one that does this for sure.  I would search through these results to see if perhaps one of these can accommodate this request in the meantime.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events