Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing unlimited automation rule executions is a TERRIBLE change!

Paul Krueger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2023

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Introducing-our-new-packaging-model-for-Jira-Cloud-Automation/ba-p/2446099

In today’s model, an automation rule that is configured to run in a single Jira project does not count toward the usage limit. In the new model, all automation rule types (i.e. single project, project type, multi-project, and global rules) will count towards the usage limit.

This is a complete deal-breaker for me! I've automated the hell out of Jira. The automation is what's allowed me to expand Jira from an IT-only tool out to multiple different business units across our company. Jira has been a huge success story for us since 2020, but this could change everything.

This decision needs to be reevaluated. 

6 comments

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2023

Agree. I am a big fan of Atlassian products and while I don't always agree with their decisions, 99% of the time I can manage thru those. However, this decision is really really unfortunate. I do appreciate much of what is presented in the upcoming changes, e.g. Only rules that perform a successful action will count towards the limit. One consideration for an admin is that any testing of a rule in a specific project will deduct your account. I often train folks in Automation so this will require consideration.

while it isn't a deal breaker for me it is a stain on my fandom. 😞

Like # people like this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2023

I have to agree with you both and I believe it has the potential to negatively impact many a company that has automated the hell out of their instance.

Marc Turner September 19, 2023

Most of my automation rules are to work around the limitations of the Jira product, so this is a real deal breaker for me. we way exceed the 5,000 limit on success, and giving us 30 days notice to deal with this is completely unacceptable.  

Piotr Radtke
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 20, 2023

I have just created an account on this community platform to share my disappointment with this change (that says something in itself). The new limit on the Standard plan is nothing compared to our plans for automations based on single-project approach. In every company I worked for I was one of the people pushing to automate as much as we can believing it brings business value without impacting the budget that much. At one point however business value gained through automations is just not worth the additional cost and this is where the issue might be here.

This change will effectively force many companies to either upgrade to the Premium plan which is 2x the price of a standard (most probably that was the Atlassian's game here) or look for a new solution on the market (I know I will). I have always recommended Atlassian tools, but this is just a money grab of the bad kind. Counting only successful executions is just to make it a little bit less horrible than it really is (a distraction move).

Like # people like this
Oleg Okhrimenko
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 6, 2023

What can I say? It is a truly HORRIBLE move from the Atlassian.

The Standard Plan has a limit of 1700 successful executions. The limit itself is not tied to the number of paid users which means it makes no sense to use the Automation feature when you have more than 50 people in the company actively working on tickets. Because you will be out of limit for sure. Such a limit makes the Automation a Premium-only feature and it would be fair to honestly say it is,

Like Anthony Martin likes this
Phillip C October 15, 2023

It's a pretty greedy change. We're being restricted and punished as we don't spend enough on their different services. No respect for customers heavily invested in 1 platform whilst using another with automation.

Legitimately now looking into JSM alternatives. This move from Atlassian is too expensive and will just have to be done elsewhere.

Like Anthony Martin likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events