Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product spotlight: Using Jira Service Management with other tools

Jeremy Cooley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2024

:wave: Hi, Community,

In today’s final JSM June product spotlight, we’re focused on software development teams and some of the Atlassian tools those teams integrate with Jira Service Management to streamline their work.

Many of you are likely familiar with Jira (formerly Jira Software), which supports project management for software development, from agile planning to fully customizable Kanban and Scrum boards. In addition, many of you are also likely acquainted with Atlassian’s git solution for teams using Jira: Bitbucket. Today, we are going to share two essential Jira Service Management integration tips for those using Jira and Bitbucket to help unify your development, IT operations, and customer support teams.

Share your best tip, and win pizza

We want to hear from you too! You can earn our Better Together Badge by sharing your personal Jira Service Management integration tips. This isn't limited to just software development, either; all use cases are welcome. We’re also raffling off a team pizza party to one lucky person who shares some JSM wisdom. :pizza::slight_smile:

• Here are some questions to spark some inspiration:

• What Atlassian products or third-party tools have you integrated with Jira Service Management?

• How does the integration work, and why is it beneficial for your team?

• What advice would you give anyone attempting the same integration?

JSM June Community Badge - Better Together copy.png

Tip #1: Say hello to the collaborator role in Jira Service Management!

Did you know that Jira users don’t necessarily need a Jira Service Management license to view a service project? That’s right! Jira Service Management has many project roles, and the collaborator role is one that is often overlooked.

JSM_role_infographic.png

A collaborator is a person with a Jira license (but no Jira Service Management license). In this role, collaborators can work with agents in Jira Service Management to resolve requests. An example of someone in this role is a developer who helps support staff analyze a bug and adds a comment to a request that explains the cause and any workaround available. A full list of Jira Service Management project roles can be found here for reference.

So how does a Jira user become a collaborator in Jira Service Management and how does this all work? Check out our demo below from Atlassian’s very own Cathi Davey as she walks you through the collaborator role in more detail:

Tip #2: Automatically track deployments for governance and compliance needs

As a developer, you are likely to be focused on shipping work, while operations teams request visibility into what you are doing. You probably will have to seek approvals before deployment, which can be time consuming. While visibility is essential, it’s tough to not only complete tasks but also report on them as new work piles up. Deployment tracking and gating in Jira Service Management can help streamline this process and alleviate these challenges!

With deployment tracking in Jira Service Management, teams can automatically create change requests when deployments are initiated to selected services, providing automated and accelerated approvals, along with seamless insight for incident responders.

And with deployment gating, teams can allow or prevent deployments at specific points in the change management process by connecting a CI/CD tool such as Bitbucket or Jenkins to Jira Service Management. Both of these features enable you to keep delivering software while providing the visibility the business needs to operate effectively without any additional work on your end. :ok_hand:

Check out the demo below for an in-depth demo of deployment tracking and deployment gating by integrating with Bitbucket:

Dont forget:

• You can keep track of all JSM June activities and challenges here. ☀️ Commenting on three or more JSM June challenges will earn you the mega JSM June Community badge.

• New to Jira Service Management? Learn more here.

• Have a question about Jira Service Management? Drop your questions in our Ask Me Anything (AMA) post

4 comments

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2024

Users don't live in Jira all day. 

Admins do. Developers do. Product Teams do. Agents do.

But not the users reporting issues.

That's why Jira Service Management ChatOps is my favorite integration. Bring the Agent to where the user is - inside their communication tool. We have installed it in Slack and that has allowed for easier interfacing and quicker resolution. 

You can learn more about how it works here: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-management/product-guide/tips-and-tricks/chat

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2024

I'm new to JSM, but looking forward to see other folks' suggestions as to the best integrations! I'm a huge fan of streamlining workflows, so I'm sure the Slack integration will be first on my list.

Like # people like this
Summer Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2024

We don't use JSM, but I'm always reading all these comments in all these JSM July posts to get great advice that I can pass on. 

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2024

I am on data center so Proforma is a must and a favorite of mine.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events