cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permissions in Jira

Chris Rainey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2024

Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some configuration examples/ideas or just some general thoughts to take back and think through.

I have inherited a Jira site and it's clear that this site was configured with one team in mind. Since I've been the administrator, there have been many teams and departments that have joined the site so the configuration is no longer suitable for me as a project administrator. Not having standard configurations results in too much manual work for me to spin up a new project but I'm also noticing that it's leading to collaboration gaps because teams aren't always speaking the same language (as far as custom fields on different projects goes).

There are a few thoughts I have on configuration changes but the one I want to focus on is permission schemes. We have a few groups that are all relative to one team. I want to instead revamp those groups and use them as a better way to set a baseline level of access for new users in Jira. 

For anyone who handles Jira permissions via groups, in what way do you bucket your Jira users? I have considered going using organization (I work for an organization that contains several child organizations), department (these change too frequently for my liking and I know it's not currently possible to change a group name), and team. Do you have any suggestions? Any thoughts? Any pros and cons? Any other grouping buckets I should consider? Interested in any and all thoughts. Your input will be extremely valuable for me in my current role.

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events