Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving tickets from JSM to JIRA

Steven Lees-Smith January 17, 2022

Hi there,

I am typing this question from the perspective of us about to move to JSM but already having our RnD team in Jira for development.

Currently in our ITSM solution I built a process that when a button is pressed a ticket in Cherwell there is a ticket created via API in Jira, it takes all the details, comments, customer info over to Jira, creates an incident there and then feeds the link back to Cherwell so the customer can just see the Cherwell ticket and the link to Jira and open that there.

We are replacing the on prem Cherwell with cloud JSM and would still need to move tickets from JSM if there are entered there but ultimately should end up in Jira for RnD to action.

Is someone able to outline what the normal / accepted process is for the support agents to get something from JSM to Jira.

Many thanks.

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2022

Hi @Steven Lees-Smith , so if I understand you correctly it seems that your current process is to move a JSM issue over to a JSW project if it requires development. Is that correct?

Assuming the above is correct, I would highly recommend a different process. This is fairly common usage throughout the community so not just my idea. In short, you shouldn't move a JSM ticket to a JSW project. Rather you should use the Create linked issue (Cloud only I think) to create a linked issue in JSW to your JSM issue. In this way you don't sever the connection with the customer.

In my use case I use Components to define the JSW projects. I use a unique status "Development" coupled with automation to automatically create the linked issue in the appropriate JSW project. I further used automation to update the JSM issue when the JSW issue is updated.

If I am off track here with your question please accept my apologies.

Steven Lees-Smith January 18, 2022

Hey,

The current process is in Cherwell which creates a copy of the ticket in Cherwell in JSW and links the two together by the Issue Key created in Jira.  This is my way of coming up with a 'linked issue' between the two systems.

As we are now in the start phase of deploying JSM I am wondering what the process is when a ticket ends up in JSM but needs someone to look at it in JSW.  So it sounds like you have a linked ticket between the two systems, but that sounds like someone has to create the same issue in JSW and then link it back to the issue in JSM.  Unless in fact as you say there is an automation process when so there is a particular field set in the JSM issue it then triggers automation to create that in JSW and link it back.

Is my understanding correct?

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2022

Hi @Steven Lees-Smith

You can refer to this post on how to automatically create and link JS tickets from JSM customer requests: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management-articles/JSM-Jira-Automation-How-to-create-tasks-for-Dev-Teams/ba-p/1912403

Regards

Steven Lees-Smith January 23, 2022

Thanks for the link.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events