Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating a JIRA project to JIRA SERVICE MANAGEMENT

GBE May 11, 2023

Hello,

What is the best practice to migrate/upgrade a project from 'JIRA' cloud to 'JIRA Service Management'?

Do I have a way to update/upgrade an existing project?

I would like to:

* avoid recreating everything from scratch

* keep existing issue history

We are scaling a JIRA with a very limited scope to JIRA Service Management in order to support a wider variety of user/usage. 

1 answer

0 votes
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

HI @GBE ,

I hope someone else will jump in with additional tips, but first thing is that you can bulk update issues, for example moving them from a Software to a Jira Service Management project, in order to keep the existing issue history.

Bulk action.png

I'm going to assume that you mean you've been using a Jira Software project with limited scope, and that now you want to set up a JSM project. It's important to understand the differences in how a Jira Software project works compared to a Service Management project. For example, JSM projects have request types, queues, and SLAs and Software projects do not. I don't see a way around avoiding having to do some configuration for your request types and portal set up. There are a lot of templates available now, so you can get started with something that already has request types, workflows, and basic queues.

Here is a discussion to better understand the differences between the two types of projects:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Difference-between-Jira-Service-Management-and-Jira-Software/qaq-p/1647861

GBE March 4, 2024

We ended by migrating from 'JIRA Software' (on prem) to 'JIRA DataCenter Software' (on prem / trial).
This allows us to change our project type to the 'JSM' type.

Then we migrated from 'JIRA DataCenter JSM' (on prem/trial) to 'JIRA JSM Cloud'.

This allowed us to keep our issue keys unchanged.

There are indeed lots of additional consideration to take into account, but this was the migration path we ended with.

Klara Bras March 7, 2024

Hello @GBE

I am wondering, what happened with comments from Jira SW (on-prem) which are shared only with particular project role? As JSM does not have this feature but only has internal/shared with customer comments. 

E.g.: on JSW (on-prem) I share my comments only with project role "admins". When I migrate project to JSM (cloud), comments are internal or shared with customer? 

Cheers, 

Klara

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events