May I use JIRA Service Management as an approval tool?

beck January 11, 2022

I'd like to use JIRA as an approval tool.

For the deploy pipelines, I'd like to make the pipeline with below.

1. The developer submits the ticket. The status of the ticket should be 'open'

2. Only the manager of the developer can approve the ticket, and the status of the ticket goes to 'approve to deploy agreement'

3. Only the infrastructure team member can approve the ticket. They can change the status of 'approve to deploy agreement' to 'approve to deploy'

As I mentioned, only permitted member can change the status of the ticket.

But it seems that JIRA doesn't allow to do. Anyone can change the status for now.

How to restrict to change the status for anyone?

Please check this. Thanks.

4 answers

4 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2022

Hi @beck absolutely, you can add an approval to the workflow which means the status can't be changed until someone who is set as an approver presses the button.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/add-an-approval-to-a-workflow/

This guide should help you get started

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

@beck -

Hi @beck

You just need to customize your Jira Software project's WF by setting up conditions on transitions to only allow certain users to move the issues from one status to another status.  If a user who are not matching your condition setup, then he/she will not even see the transition option listed in the UI.

You don't need JSM to achieve this WF functionality + you can also customize your Jira Software WF to create the approval setup.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Utkarsh Agarwal _Nagarro_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2022

Hi @beck ,

If your only requirement is to restricting users to change the status, you can achieve this by setting up a condition on the workflow transition.

pp1.png

By limiting to specific roles, people, groups, etc.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/working-with-workflows-776636540.html

No need to purchase JSM only for setting approvals if your use case does not demands extensive functionalities provided by JSM.

Kind Regards
Utkarsh

0 votes
Answer accepted
Julia Shcherbyna _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 13, 2022

Hi @beck , 

It seems this article could be useful for you Managing Approval Process through JIRA

Also, as an alternative, you can check how it could be organized using Business Process Manager add-on developed by my team. Check an online demo here

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events