Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make the Project-Specific JSM Portal Look Better?

Mathew Lederman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2024

Is there any way natively to make the JSM portal for a specific project look better or at least not horrible? It's just a comma separated list of the Request Types and is nearly impossible to read. Any suggestions would be helpful/appreciated.

3 answers

1 vote
Jon Boyles May 16, 2024

Do you have a single JSM project that houses all of these request types? Several of the requests look like the wouldn't fall under an IT service desk. If it were me, I would make different JSM projects (IT, HR, etc.) and have the relevant requests fall under each of those. It would certainly clean things up. 

The other thing I notice is that you have extremely granular requests that make it a bit crowded as well.

Mathew Lederman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2024

This is all housed within a single project to give users a single place to go to request support, access, tools. etc. We have also built out a rather complicated process for assigning requests to teams rather than individuals, automating sub-tasks based on options selected, tying in manager approval based on LDAP data from Jira Assets, etc.

We also have other JSM portals with specific use-cases (Change Management, Incident Management, etc) so moving these requests all into separate projects and expecting the user to know to select Name Change rather than Change Management if they got married and changed their name isn't an option.

We are migrating from datacenter where we use a plug-in (Theme Extension for JSD) to make the portal look really good. Unfortunately the same plug-in doesn't work offer the same functionality in the Cloud and the Refined plugin doesn't look good on the submission form (field names are too close to the field above and look like they're tied to the wrong entry field).

I'd like to stay with the native functionality, because it's superior in most aspects, but the submission portal looks terrible even if you only have 5 forms in a single category and the customization options are extremely limited. Additionally, the Search bar is obscured and not easy to find. This is more of a training issue that I can find a way to address with our 12k users, but looking at that eyesore is not.

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2024

Currently the answer is no, the listing you see in each group are all the request types that you have assigned to that group. 

I would question why you have so many request types for application support. My guess is that you would be able to combine a lot of them into a single request type and then use Forms instead. Another option if the request types you have are product specific but they all have the same fields on them would be to utilize Assets, you could then have one generic request type and use an Assets field to select the product the request is for.

Mathew Lederman
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2024

Honestly, Application Support is just the general bucket that everything has been thrown into as it's the first tab on our current service desk. We can and plan to break it out further, but any more than 2 or 3 forms in a category look awful and 30 categories doesn't look any better.

The requests cannot be combined as they have different workflows. We have customized the workflows pretty heavily to allow for skipping past/applying various levels of approval, but changing the workflow altogether will not work for auditing reasons.

0 votes
Mathew Lederman
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 16, 2024

This is what we have today and it just looks awful.

JSM Portal.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events