Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make a custom field mandatory for just ONE request type.

Ellie Eleana Deisinger
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 15, 2024

Im slowly getting frustrated. :/

I've set up a Service Desk with different request types, and some custom fields of which some are mandatory e.g Location.

I now created another request type where Location is not needed.

But i can't get rid of it. 

Tried a few "solutions" that where posted here in the community, but they all seem to old, and don't work.

So my question is:

How can i make a field mandatory for just one request type?

Jira really is a complicated setup maze imho, seems really over-complicated for some certain stuff. and we're using it for 3 years now.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vishal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2024

Hi @Ellie Eleana Deisinger 

Just go to Project Settings > Request Types > Click on the request type in which you want to make field mandatory & then on the field & you shall find a check box to make field mandatory, like below.

Required.png

1 vote
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2024

Hi @Ellie Eleana Deisinger ,

Welcome to the community !!

Go to your project settings --> Fields 
Copy the name of the field configuration.
Go to Jira admin settings --> Issues -->Field configuration --> Click "Configure" against the required field configuration

Search for Location field. if the field is marked "Required", then click "Optional" link
image.png

Now add and check the field in JSM project request type. It should not display as required. 

If still it is displayed as required, remove field and add back OR expand field and uncheck "Required" in Request type.
image.png

0 votes
Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2024

@Ellie Eleana Deisinger 

where did you set the field as required? 
If you set it inside the request type configuration you should be able to make it optional for any other request type, like @Vishal wrote.

If you set it required via the field configuration, then it will be required for alle issue types and request types.

Ellie Eleana Deisinger
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 15, 2024

I indeed did it via the field configuration, seems like i was blind.

I haven't seen the checkbox @Vishal  mentioned. :'D 

Like Kai Becker likes this
Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2024

Perfect. Glad that we found the issue. Please don't forget to accept an answer, if you question is resolved.

0 votes
Sathish Kumar Golla February 15, 2024

Hi,

You can do the below

Project Settings > Request Types > Click on the request type 

With the help of Adaptive Scriptrunner using Behaviours you can choose the JSM project and update the request type.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events