Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked fields in forms used more than once

Mikel Whipple November 11, 2022

I have a customer field that populates a list of users from Active Directory. 

I am building onboarding and offboarding forms and I am using the field "single user" in the form and I want to link that field to the field that contains all my users. 

This field will be used in different parts of the form, some parts asking who the HR person is filling it out (not always the reporter) and sometimes who the technician who did the work in certain sections (network person, sysadmin person, etc...). 

When I tried to use it a second time it said it was in use. Ideas? 

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2022

@Mikel Whipple -

In FORMs, once a form's element is mapped to an actual Jira/JSM issue field, it cannot be use again in other form's element.

The reason why it is not allowed, it is because if you change 1 of the 2 fields on your form it would overwrite the field on the actual issue.

Therefore, you'll have to define 2 custom fields with most likely the same data behind it to map the FORMS elements.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2022

Hi @Mikel Whipple,

If you do not want to track the data in a Jira field and just have separate fields on your form, then the simple workaround would be not to map any of the user fields to a Jira custom field at all. You can perfectly add multiple user picker fields to your form and they will retrieve users from your Jira directory as you can see in this example:

Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 13.20.57.pngIn the settings, all I did was leave the linked Jira field for all custom fields empty.

If you DO need to store the data from these different fields in Jira, you will need to set up multiple custom fields in Jira to, as @Joseph Chung Yin and @Kian Stack Mumo Systems rightfully mentioned.

Hope this helps! 

0 votes
Mikel Whipple November 11, 2022

@Joseph Chung Yin , @Kian Stack Mumo Systems  I don't want to track the data and if I did then the Field Key should be a unique identifier for me to pull that info somewhere else. I just want to have a reusable auto-populated list that I can use multiple times in a form. This is not an issue in other products. 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

@Mikel Whipple -

Unfortunately, one cannot achieve what you wanted when using FORMS for JSM.  You can reach out to Atlassian Support (https://support.atlassian.com) for further assistance and request this ask to be submitted as an enhancement of this product.

Sorry.

Best, Joseph

Mikel Whipple November 14, 2022

I did realize that the "single user" field does have a list of users and can be used multiple times in a form. I thought you had to link this field to use it because it would never find users in the preview, but it does when you add it to a ticket. Thanks. 

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

@Mikel Whipple

You can only use a linked field once per form. If you want to track that data you would need to create multiple fields to link the questions to.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events