Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Automations: Edit object attributes vs edit asset field attributes

Haig Aboyan April 14, 2023

I am currently working on an automation rule that edits object attributes.  After I perform the object lookup I perform the action and its at this point where I am running into issues. You can see the action below which is is an "Edit object attributes" action and this edits the "Next Performance Review Date". And when I run the rule it runs successfully, but only because it outputs the following message "Edit Assets field attributes, No issues were found, stopping the rule". The message is incorrectly outputting that I am running an "Edit Assets field attributes" action when in reality I am running an "Edit object attributes" action.

Additionally, the error message state that "no issues were found", which is confusing because no issues are being edited/updated as a result of this action, only the object that has been looked up should be updated. I'm not sure if this is a bug or if there is a work around, but I'm looking to see if others have had similar issues and how they've worked around this.

Action being performed:

Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 2.32.49 PM.png

Message in audit log:

Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 1.42.38 PM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Pier-Olivier Tremblay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2023

you need to use the AQL Branch if you want to edit the objects.

Branching on a smartvalue will only let you read!

Haig Aboyan May 8, 2023

I also realized that I dont want to update the "Next Performance Review Date" via "now(+180d)" because that updates the attribute to a 18p days from today. I want to add a 180 days to the currently stored date. Any suggestions on how to achieve this?

0 votes
Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2023

Hi @Haig Aboyan 

could you post a screenshot of the whole rule?

Haig Aboyan April 17, 2023

Hi @Kai Becker

Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 9.44.33 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-17 at 9.44.42 AM.png

Nathan Allen May 24, 2023

I'm running into this same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

Like Aleksandra Leesment likes this
Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

@Nathan Allen@Haig Aboyan  you need to branch on AQL, otherwise the rule will focus on the issues instead of the objects. Please put the AQL from lookup objects into the branching part.
Here is a simple example:

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 22.26.16.png

Nathan Allen May 25, 2023

@Kai Becker I don't have any option to branch on AQL, not sure where you're finding that.

Pier-Olivier Tremblay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2023

The rule needs to be global to make it appear !

Like # people like this
Nathan Allen May 25, 2023

Perfect. Thanks!

Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

Thanks @Pier-Olivier Tremblay for the addition. Forgot to mention that. :)

nicolae_cotan November 21, 2023

Hello, i need the same use but for users. I need to edit and object attribute called User and fill it with the atlassian user.

Do you think this would work? Sans titre.png

raphael_lopes November 23, 2023

how to edit attribute with atomation when a filed have more than a object?

raphael_lopes November 23, 2023

1.png2.png3.png

mb January 29, 2024

Thank you so much @Pier-Olivier Tremblay !

It's incredible to me that I had to switch to scope "global" and then back to "single project" after enabling the AQL Branch. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to use the "forms submitted" trigger as it's not available in global rules!

Like Pier-Olivier Tremblay likes this
Pier-Olivier Tremblay
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2024

@mb yeah I don't get it either why it works like that x)

mb February 27, 2024

Seems like a bug to me, but I got kind of tired of raising bugs because neither feature requests nor bugs seem to get fixed/introduced in a reasonable time :(

Sidney Dizon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 9, 2024

@raphael_lopes were you able to find an answer to that?

I am having the same problem

raphael_lopes June 12, 2024

Yes, I did, my automation looks like this.

Captura de tela 2024-06-12 122739.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events