Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Automation: Use regex capture group from rule condition in subsequent action?

Deleted user February 15, 2021

I have an automation rule that triggers when a comment is added to an issue.  The new comment is searched using a regex, looking for something like "[tw] 5m" at the beginning of a line.  So far so good:

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.34.10.png

I then want to do something in a rule action with the "5m" captured in my regex.  Within the regex, I would simply use "\1" to refer to the contents of the capture group, but I have no idea if I can recall the contents of the capture group in a subsequent action, and, if I can, how I would recall the contents so that I can use them.  It seems like some smart value or other is what I need, but I can't find any smart values that reference the results of a regex match.

Or should I forget about capturing in the conditional step, and instead use something like `{{comment.body.match("^\[tw\]\s*(\d+[wdhm])")}}` for setting the value of a field in an action step?  Also, when using the .match method, where do the regex options (e.g. "gim" in the screenshot regex above) go?

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2021

Hi @[deleted] 

Have you tried creating a variable?

Ravi

Deleted user February 15, 2021

Hi @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_

Being relatively new to Jira -- but coming from an engineering and development background -- a variable sounds like exactly what I need, but I don't know where to begin with creating one.  Can you please refer me to relevant documentation?

Thank you,

-Brian

Sherry Goyal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2021

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events