Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Automation - Create Sub task on a Story when a bug is created that is linked as blocks

Michael O Gara
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 6, 2021

I am trying to create an automation that will add a sub Task to a Story when a new bug is created that blocks the linked story.  (I know you can create sub bugs as a type, but that is not an option in this project). 

Workflow:

1. Bug is created by User 
2. User Links bug back Story ticket as "blocks"

3. Automation then creates a new Sub task on the story that is linked with the Title of the bug that was submitted and linked. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2021

Hi @Michael O Gara and welcome!

Try this one:

• Create rule and use trigger Link Issue (choose "Blocks"
  • Add Issue fields condition (issue type = bug)
  • Create variable and store the summary of the bug (see 2nd picture)
  • Create branch and choose "Destination Issue"
  • Add Issue fields condition (issue type = story) (i've used a different issue type)
  • Create subtask and paste the smart variable we've create in previous step (see 3rd picture)

ruleSubtask01.png

Smart Variable

ruleSubtask02.png

Subtask creation

ruleSubtask03.png

Let me know if that is what you want to achieve.

Alex

Michael O Gara
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 9, 2021

This works thank you! 

Marc Isikoff October 28, 2022

Does not work if not using Atlassian Cloud. We are on Server in a public cloud.

Atlassian needs to stop making functionality only if we pay for their cloud. This is unacceptable as Server version has no such "create variable"

Tim Perrault
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2022

Hi @Marc Isikoff 

If you haven't already you can add your vote to this ticket 

Like Marc Isikoff likes this
0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2021

Hi @Michael O Gara ,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Are the bugs and stories from different projects (for example bug is created in service management project and story exists in software project) or from the same project?

Thank you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events