Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSM Portal-Only User Cannot Create Issue?

Gail July 11, 2022

Hi All.

I have a Jira Service Mgmt project with "open" access for portal customers (meaning anyone with our domain email address can see the portal and open an issue).    We normally have no problems with users logging into this project - they enter their email address then get prompted to log in with single sign-on.

Today one specific user is entering her email address THEN she gets prompted for password.   I have verified she is logged into Okta which is our SSO.   She is definitely using an email in our domain.   We have cleared browser cache and rebooted her laptop.   I am waiting to hear on whether using a different browser has helped.

I honestly think the issue is this user, but I don't know what else to look at.   They have attached customer permissions in the particular project.   The project permissions are the same as other JSM projects that users have no issue accessing - browse issue, create issue, etc.

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 4.45.06 PM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2022

@Gail 

What could be happening is the following:

This particular user does not have any assigned Jira Software or Jira Service Management licenses for Jira to understand SSO globally.

She is just registered as a customer of your project, without having a license assigned. So SSO doesn't work so well in these cases, because in this scenario the user profile is not yet managed by AD or SSO that integrates your base of licensed users in Jira.

You can confirm whether this issue occurs by checking the following:
Go to User Management and click on the "Jira Service Management" option.

If the user's profile appears in this list, then the user is not fully licensed and Jira SSO may not work correctly. 

And the solution would be to make this user account a licensed account.

What also happens in many cases is that the user has two Jira accounts, one licensed and the other just as a customer, and this causes access impacts like this.

So it's worth looking under "User Management" > "Users" and under "Jira Service Management" in order to identify if the same name/email appears on both lists, if so it could be a duplicate account issue

If this does not happen, it might be interesting to open a ticket with atlassian support to assess whether it is a problem directly linked to the user's profile.

Gail July 12, 2022

Thanks.   All customers in our "open" portals are restricted to our company email domain and must go through our SSO.   This particular customer is not licensed.    Her role is:

• Service Project Customer - Portal Access
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2022
Like Gail likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events