Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue Security for Portal only accounts

Kevin Gérard July 11, 2023

Hi, i want to share this use case, and hear wat everyone has to say about this :) 

We're currently seeing that our JSM organizations & customers structure is not really up to date with how the situation is in real life. 

to start simple, Any Jira Service Management customer can look up any ticket linked to the organizations where said customer is assigned to. 

That is where our problem begins. 
Not all customers within the same organization have the same 'level'. There's technical people that should be able to lookup this data, and there's operational people who should only be able to see their own tickets. 

I'm currently using assets as a CMS tool, using Jira Automation to invoke API calls to translate assets to users. this runs 'mostly' well. 

So here's the idea i'm starting from.

I have an Asset representing a customer, this is linked/synced to the actual user account (JSM portal only account). I want to add an attribute there, representing a 'permission level'

I want to configure a Permission scheme, which i will use to hide issues from those who do not have the needed permission level set. 

Here's where i get stuck. 
Security levels don't seem to be as configurable as i'd need.... 
Basically i need to either sync the users straight into a custom field who need to be able to see the ticket. This poses issues on the long term.... (new people not being able to see historical tickets) 

Or i need to be able to assign them to groups, and sync the group to the ticket. (already better, but JSM Portal only accounts cannot be assigned to groups).

Who can help me solve this puzzle :)

2 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2023

Permissions and security schemes only apply to the project, they do not affect the portal.

The only way you can do what you want here is to create organisations for each group you want to have access, and refine which customer accounts belong to each one 

Like # people like this
Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2023

I don't know if this is what you are speaking of, but we have a project role created in Jira called vendors and the permission scheme for that role is missing this permission "Browse Projects" This means that the people who are assigned this role can only see the project that they are added to and nothing else in our system. Does that help?

project role.png

Like John Funk likes this
Kevin Gérard July 12, 2023

Hi!

I'm not sure, are you assigning licenses to the users in these roles then? 
Our customers basically have portal-only access, the rest of our environment is shielded.

Like John Funk likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events