Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to see on the queue who was last to comment/update the ticket

taelor toews May 29, 2021

Hi All! So obviously we're sifting through a lot of tickets everyday / giving updates & comments on tickets. There's days where I don't remember what I last updated/commented and I would like to add a queue in our service desk that clearly shows me what tickets have been commented on most recently and by who. Hopefully this makes sense... 

Is this possible? 

3 answers

4 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2021

Hi @taelor toews 

To use the information in a queue, it'll need to be metadata you can refer to.

There aren't fields for Last Updated By, Last Commented By or Last Comment Date/Time - but you could create them, and use Automation to populate them?

---

This is how I did it to test this scenario, using Comments:

• Custom Fields: Create 2 new custom fields:
    • Last Commented By: User Picker (single user)
    • Last Comment Date/Time: Date Time Picker
  • Screens: To avoid manual entry, either...
    • Don't put the fields on any screen or...
    • Add the fields to a screen which is only applied to the View operation (might require a change to the Screen Scheme / Issue Type Screen Scheme)
  • Automation: Create an Automation rule:
    • Trigger: Issue Commented
    • Action: Edit Issue
      • Last Commented By: {{initiator}}
      • Comment Date/Time: {{now}}

---

Now I have the data, I can refer to it in JQL, or use it as columns in an issue search or queue :)

If this sounds like the right approach for you, and you'd like a more indepth step-by-step guide to replicate this, let me know!

Ste

Jason Thompson August 6, 2021

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Browsing the forums is like panning for gold, sometime you just stumble on a nugget like this!

I have been trying to get something like this working for months now...

Copy comment author into custom userpicker field - Automation for Jira

But your tip with regard to {{initiator}} really helped.

I went from this ...

edit issue old.png

.. to this ...

edit issue new.png

and now it works :)

I can now setup ticket queues or dashboard gadgets showing tickets that have received a comment "today" from someone who is not the ticket assignee.

Super!

Like # people like this
natalie August 24, 2021

@Jason Thompson how did you get "last commented user" into your list of available fields to edit? I can't get any custom user picker fields to populate on this list. 

Jason Thompson August 28, 2021

Hi @natalie 

If you click on the 'chose fields to set' drop down menu, then just start typing the name of your custom field, it should appear and be selectable.

edit issue.png

As you see above, two matching custom fields are displayed, which were not there when I clicked on the dropdown.

*I have since changed my field name to German as I work in a German company, but it is the same field.

Is that what you meant?

Brandon Dimick September 28, 2021

I would love this sort of field as well.

Does this work on Jira Service Desk Cloud? If so, can you provide a step-by-step way to implement this automation?

Cheers,

-Brandon

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2022

Hi @Brandon Dimick 

Do you still need instructions for implementing this? If so, can you clarify the need?

Ste

Richard de Breyn September 6, 2023

Legend...dairy!

0 votes
Jacqueline Eddison July 12, 2022

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_Thank you! My goodness we have been trying to do this for months and finally found this article.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2022

Not a problem :) - glad you found it useful!

Ste

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2021

There is an updated date field that will show you the date of the last update. If you want to see the details of who made the last update or any update you can look at the history tab in the detail issue view. 

Ashraf B January 27, 2022

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ ,

I have configured the customField "Latest Comment By" with a SmartValue {{initiator}} and will check...

However, another customField "Latest Comment On" that is of "Date/Time picker" Type doesn't appear in the list "Choose fields to set" dropdown...

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2022

Unsure why it does not show TBH. I just tested and was able to add a custom date field to my queue. If you type in "Latest" in the Columns field in the edit queue screen your field does not show?

No @Jack Brickey ,

I have three CustomFields - "Latest Comment", "Latest Comment By" and "Latest Comment On".

When I search using various words, it shows "Latest Comment" and "Latest Comment By", but not "Latest Comment On"

Secondly, though I configured {{initiator}}, the Rule isn't encountering an error, but when I look for the column "Latest Column By", the column is empty...

Regards,

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2022

So there are two issues:

• something is amiss with your custom field not showing in the available field list when editing the queue
  • your means of updating the field isn't working

are you sure the field is associated with the project screens?

do you see the field when viewing an issue in the project?

can you edit the field by choosing a date in an issue?

can you go to advanced search issues screen and run a query on your project and add the field to the table?

- The fields are visible on View (though I will hide it subsequently)...

- The CustomField "Latest Comment" successfully stores and displays the content via Automation rule...

- I can manually enter the values in other two fields. It's just that I have still not been able to configure it in my Automation rule....

20220127_01.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2022

Can you share your automation rule details? The thing that is bugging me here is that it is not an option in your queue. Did you try the advanced search issues? Is the option to include the field available under Columns?

Yes @Jack Brickey , I can "add" these columns under Filters --> Advanced Issue Search.

But, since I have still not been able to populate these fields through automation, the columns don't display any values...Image_01.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events