Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to add checkboxes to a cascading select field?

jusgray November 13, 2023

Greetings everyone,

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

I have a select list (cascading) that triggers a secondary select option. I want to be able to change the secondary selection option to checkboxes so users can select more than 1 item at a time.

For example, there is a field called "Department" with three options:

1) HR  2) Finance 3) IT

If a user chooses HR option, there should be three checkboxes to choose from like

1) task1 2) task2 3)task3

where more than 1 option can be checked off.

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Kleber Pauta November 13, 2023

Hey jgray7,

I would recommend building Forms with conditional sections. This feature will help with the fields you would implement. 

The documentation for adding conditional fields for forms in JSM cloud is available here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/add-a-conditional-field-to-your-project-using-forms-1188419353.html

Thank  you for your response and this appears it could work. However, I don't see how I can conditionally render those checkboxes. In the link your provided it shows an example but it's not giving me checkbox options for "Is any of". jsm_01.png

Hey @jusgray 

You would create the checkboxes field under the Section with the conditional formatting applied to it. An easy way to do this is to click on the Section, then click on the Add Field button > Checkboxes.

I tried that before but still didn't give me the option to link those checkboxes with the dropdown. I tried clicking inside the section to add a field but that's not an option.

If I click the checboxes and click on "Linked Jira Field" it doesn't connect to my custom form but all forms fields created in "custom fields"

jsm_02.png

In this solution, you would create a new checkbox field for every conditional section you have.

From your example from your OP:

Department - dropdown

--New Conditional Section, if Department is any of HR--

HR Checkboxes field (new field)

If the checkboxes need to change for every selection under Department, you would iteratively create new sections and fields for each option, like below.

--New Conditional Section, if Department is any of Finance--

Finance checkboxes field (new field)

Like # people like this
jusgray November 14, 2023

That worked! I had to play around with the formatting, but I got it to work. Thank you so much for your patience.

Hopefully, the last issue with this fix. It looks like the conditional render produces an additional input called "new option". It's not only on my dropdown but on other fields as well.

I didn't add it and want it to disappear but doesn't give me an option to do so. Have you experienced this and know how to get rid of it?

jsm_04.pngjsm_03.png

Kleber Pauta November 14, 2023

You have the "Add Other" option enabled on this drop down field. Please remove the "Other" option from your field by pressing the "x" next to it on the right hand panel when selecting the field.

jusgray November 14, 2023

Oh, I see what you mean. You're amazing! I'm still very new to Jira and you were super helpful assisting me with figure some things out. Cool beans!

Kleber Pauta November 15, 2023

Glad I could help! Please click on "Accept answer" to accept my solution when you can. Thanks!

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2023

@jusgray -

Please keep in mind that if you are going with the FORM's route, you will not be able to map the input captured in the FORM back to your custom Cascade List JSM field.  If that is not a concern, then you can always save the FORM as a PDF and attach it to your JSM issue as an attachment.

Again, the out of the box Cascade select option field only allows one-one (parent and child selection) where you cannot have one parent option with multiple child options (SELECTED) for the field itself.

Best, Joseph

I see what you were talking about but unsure how to capture it as PDF. Is there a link to how to do this type of functionality?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2023

@jusgray -

When you configure the FORM setup, go to "Settings" tab and enabled the option under the Form submission section - "Create and attach a PDF of the form to the issue".

Hope this helps.

If my suggestion helped you, please click on "Accept answer" when you have a chance.  Glad to assist.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2023

@jusgray -

Welcome to the community.  Unfortunately, it is not possible out of the box (especially combining Cascade Select list format with Checkbox).  You should search in Atlassian Marketplace for possible third party add-ons that will give you the functionality you are asking for - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/

Here is an existing enhancement request - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-37665 that allows multi-select options against a Cascade Select datatype..

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS