Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have a JSM knowledge base that is private to agents without a confluence license?

Lance Waldrop April 10, 2024

Is it possible to have a JSM knowledge base that is private to agents without a confluence license? We want to have internal documentation that is not viewable by external customers in the help center.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2024

@Lance Waldrop

I don't think you can do this. I tried a couple of ways, but I think you would need to enable page level or space level restrictions, neither of which you can do on the free plan. You'd need to upgrade to a paid Confluence plan.

Lance Waldrop April 11, 2024

Hey @Kian Stack Mumo Systems thanks for the suggestion. I'll try this and see what I can do with a paid license from an administrative level. Will let you know what I found.

Lance Waldrop May 3, 2024

We tried this and found getting the implementation to where we wanted had too much friction. Knowledge base appears to be more for external customer self-service documentation, vs the fuller features from a Confluence license. Based on this we've opted for Confluence licenses for everyone.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2024

Hello @Lance Waldrop 

When you say "without a confluence license" do you mean that the JSM agents would not have a Confluence user license?

Correct. To give some context, we're looking at migrating to Jira and are in an information and requirement gathering stage. To save on costs we're hoping the knowledge base feature built into service management would be sufficient for agent documentation, but some of the potential blockers is documentation being visible to external customers (most if not all is for internal use only).

We haven't yet found a way to limit that visibility unless the agents have a confluence license.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2024

Are you planning to use a paid Confluence subscription, or are you trying to use a Free Confluence subscription?

Do you want the agents to only view the KB information through the customer portal, or would you have them access Confluence directly?

Would then need access to information in more than one Confluence space?

1. Some of our users will have a paid confluence license but only those working out of a Jira software project since there isn't an included KB feature.

2. Agents don't need to view documentation thru the portal, within Jira is sufficient. They would view and create pages in KB within their service management project.

3. They would need to access information in other confluence spaces but would have no need to edit or create in them which we've found possible with minimal testing.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events