Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherited Object Attributes don't work in IQL Query

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2022

I'm currently using an IQL Query to perform an LookupObjects action in my Automation.  My query looks like the following:

objectType = "Standard Laptops" AND "Assign To" = {{issue.Employee}}

This is where "Assign To" is the attribute that is inherited from an "ancestor" Object Type of "Standard Laptops".  Both ancestors are Abstract Object Types.

"Assign To" is of type User.

I'm finding that the first part of the query (objectType = "Standard Laptops") works while the second part with the inherited attribute doesn't work.  This is affecting what objects are found and recorded.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is this a bug?

1 answer

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2022

@Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ ,

• Have you tried that IQL with a fixed value?
  • Does it simply return no results or errors?

I would suggest to use a log action to output the iql with the smart value to make sure it resolves as it should too. 

Might be that you need something like issue.Employee.Displayname since it might be returning the uid and not something the IQL can translate. 

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

I tried this with an attribute that wasn't inherited and it worked as expected.

The second part of the query returns with no results.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

And what does it resolve to when you output the query itself? (Smartvalue resolved)

I’d make sure you know the resolved query first and try that in Insight. 

If it works in Insight but not in Automation then that sounds indeed like an Automation bug. 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

Hey Robert,

I just set up a  simple test object schema with 2 levels.

Level 1: Abstract and inheritance on with 2 attributes (Text and User)

Level 2: Child of level 1 

image.png

I added an object on level 2 with a value in the User type attribute and when I do a query it works fine..

image.png

I've also tried it with the id of the user and that works as well.

So it either has to be Automation or something else.

I'll see if I can set up an issuetype and what happens. I'm assuming the Employee field is just a single select user?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

@Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ ,

So i'm not sure if I set it up differently from you or what is going on but for me it works.

I set up an automation rule (manual) that does the IQL for a lookupObjects and it returns the correct value.

I threw a user picker (single) field on an issue type and used that in the IQL.

image.png

These are my steps in my test:

image.png

and my result:

image.png

So if you are stuck still with some issues I think we need more detailed info.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events