Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to search for an exact phrase in JQL

Von Gong September 20, 2022

I want to search for an exact phrase in JQL "New Store".
If given the following:
CM-18 test automation3 store new
CM-30 New Store - Test/1111/Zone99 - Create Store/Company in CP

I want to only get CM-18. I found a page that said I should use summary ~ "\"New Store\""
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/search-syntax-for-text-fields-939938747.html

When I do that search (summary ~ "\"New Store\""), I get both back both results.

What am I doing wrong?

2 answers

0 votes
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2022

Hi @Von Gong 

As you're on Jira Cloud, the correct answer is to get an app that provides JQL extensions you're looking for.

With standard JQL, you can only get a list of issues and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis. If your use case is more dynamic than that, look beyond standard Jira.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it, but you can quickly find the results using our professional indexing service JQL Search Extensions

You can use this query to find all the issues that “New Store” have in the summary

issue in wildcardMatch("summary", "*New Store*")

Check out the documentation for more examples. 

If you have any other questions, please contact our support. We’ll be happy to help you!
Best regards,
Maurício

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

@Von Gong 

Your JQL should work and return only the issue where the summary contains the exact search pharse

summary ~ "\"New Store\""  

At this time, I would recommend you to submit a formal ask to Atlassian Support (https://support.atlassian.com) for additional assistance.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Von Gong September 20, 2022

I opened a ticket with Atlassian Support. I was informed that exact-text search is not yet supported. However, we have a Feature Request for this matter JRACLOUD-21372

This is contradictory to the confluence page. Issues like this consumed may hours of my time. Please update your documentation to match the current feature set.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

@Von Gong -

First - The documentation is provided by Atlassian and not by community members, so it will be up to Atlassian to enhance it.

Second - When you access the documentation link, it clearly stated it is for Jira Software Server 9.2 env and not for Cloud env

Sorry, there is nothing that as a community leader can do about it.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events