Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up reminder emails on Tickets

Jon Correa April 4, 2024

Hey friends,

I'm looking to get a couple reminder emails set up, but I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around the smart values of automation to get this going.

1. The first one is setting up an email for tickets in the "Waiting for customer" state, after 3 business days send an email to the customer reminding them to check their ticket.

2. The other one is for tickets in the "Waiting for support" state, after 5 business days send an email to both the customer and the assignee that nothing has been changed and needs to be revisited. 

Thank you for your help in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2024

Hello @Jon Correa 

Can you show us what you have set up so far?

What part specifically is giving you trouble?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2024

Hello @Jon Correa 

Thank you for the additional information.

However, I don't think the rule you have started to construct will meet your requirement. Or I haven't understood your requirement.

As I understand it you want two rules:

1. when an issue has been in the "Waiting for customer" status for 3 business days then you want to send an email
  2. when an issue has been in the "waiting for support" status for 5 business days then you want to send an email.

In that case, you do not want to use an Issue Transitioned trigger. That would run the rule when the status is changed. At that point the status of the issue has just been changed. The rule will never be triggered based on the issue having been in that status for days.

Instead you will need to use the Schedule trigger to periodically check for issues that have been in the specified status for the specified time period.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-triggers/#Scheduled

To get that set up correctly I have a few more questions.

When you say the issue has been in that status for X days do you want the rule to run only when the issue has been in that status for exactly X days? What if the issue has been in the status for X+1 days or longer?

An issue can potentially remain in a particular status and still be getting updated in other ways (i.e. comments added). Do you only care about whether or not the status has changed, or would it make a difference if other updates had been made during that time?

Here is a starter example of the trigger that would be used if you answered the above questions with "only exactly X days" and "only care about status changes".

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 10.19.25 AM.png

You use the JQL statement in the trigger to find all the issues you want. In this case you want issues that are currently in a specific status and where that status has not been changed in the past 3 days.

You would want to make sure the checkbox below the JQL statement is unchecked.

You would follow this trigger with the action to Send Email. That action would execute for each issue found by the JQL in the trigger. The Send Email action will let you choose from the user picker fields in the issue to select the email recipients.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 10.23.53 AM.png

Like Joseph Chung Yin likes this
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2024

@Trudy Claspill -

Very well stated.  This was also what I was going to suggest to use Scheduled trigger event for the automation.

Best, Joseph

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
0 votes
Jon Correa April 5, 2024

@Trudy Claspill @Joseph Chung Yin 

Thanks for your response, unfortunately I don't have anything beyond:

Issue Transition from Open to Waiting for Support.

itsm.png

I can't figure out how to use smart values to basically create:

If: Issue Transition is on/over 5 Business Days

Then: Send email to Assignee and Customer (with custom text saying please check ticket or w/e)

I don't know if it's just me, but it's hard to find the correct syntax for doing this.

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2024

@Jon Correa -

I agreed with @Trudy Claspill ask for clarification.  What is your ask on the problem with smart value for your automation rule.

Please advise, so we can further assist you better.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders