Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up automation for creation of Jira issue due to Insight object attribute change?

juliab May 25, 2021

Hello! 

We are testing out Jira Service Management Premium / Insight with the specific goal to manage software licenses. 

What I would like to do is create a rule that, based on the expiry date for a given software license object, generates a ticket in a Jira helpdesk or a task in a Jira project to prompt our team to take action. 

I found this question and answer in the community from back in 2019 but alas the linked answer's documentation leads to a 404:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-automatically-create-JIRA-task-from-Insight-Object/qaq-p/1010754

Can anyone provide the update to date steps needed to achieve the answer located in that thread? 

I have searched the Insight docs but only come up with general automation rule creation docs, nothing specific to using Insight. 

***UPDATE***

I somewhat found my own answers by reading the linked question a bit more clearly. 

First I realized that the other answer starts with a 'Scheduled trigger' ( I was looking for an insight trigger or something). 

Next - I tried to make a rule using it but was guided by Atlassian that object rules can only be created in Global Automation. 

I'm now working on configuring this and will report back with what I find. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
juliab May 28, 2021

Okay simple solution - basically needed to learn how to link components to do what I needed. 

Essentially, created rule with the following components:
rule.png

1. Chose 'Scheduled' for trigger. Set to every 30 days. 

2. Then > new Action. Chose 'Lookup objects'. Using IQL, searched in Insight, under our 'Software' object schema, for objects that were of the type 'floating license' and had an expiry date (attribute) of less than or equal to 30 days. IQL query:

objectType = "Floating license" and "Expiry Date" <= 30d 

3. Next component, chose another action, 'Send Email'. For address, used the catchall address for our IT team. In body of email, wrote:

The following licenses will expire in less than 30 days:
{{#lookupObjects}}
- {{Name}} from {{Vendor}}
{{/}}

Which will list out all the licenses that were found to be expiring. 

Bonus: Could also add component to create issue but then it would group all lookup objects together. Will try to find a way to make an issue for each lookupObject returned, but for now will manually create the issues. 

Hope this helps someone!

Nick Sommerfeld May 9, 2022

Hi juliab,

Were you able to come up with a solution for:

"Bonus: Could also add component to create issue but then it would group all lookup objects together. Will try to find a way to make an issue for each lookupObject returned, but for now will manually create the issues."

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events