How to receive email requests and automatically format into jira ticket

Jennylee Baguio May 16, 2023

I am trying to make a system where emails sent to the default email address provided by jira will be automatically created into tickets and formatted based off what is in the email. when i test the ticket creation sending an email to the jira address from a personal email, it will send it to jira. but i created an excel macro that automatically generates an email preview and fills the email subject, body and to address based off of what’s in the cells. get i run the macro in excel it automatically creates the email to send to the jira support email in outlook. for some reason whenever i send from that, it does not send to jira and i get an undeliverable message back in my email. when i test sending the email from browser or the mail app, it sends it to jira and makes a ticket. how do i get it to send to jira from the outlook email generated by the excel macro? 

1 answer

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Hi Jennylee - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Are you positive that the To: address is exactly the same in both cases? 

Jennylee Baguio May 17, 2023

yes, it’s the exact same. i think i may have messed up with adding my incoming mail server but i can’t figure out how to confirgure it. i bought a domain to test it but still can’t get it to work

Jennylee Baguio May 17, 2023

also i wonder if it could be my macro?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2023

It sounds like you are either using different mail handlers for each or there is something different about how the mail handler is processing them. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events