Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to provide view only access to all issues in a JIRA Service Mgmt project

Laxmi Swamy July 24, 2024

Hello Everyone,

I have created a project in JIRA Service Mgmt for my team to work on the issues raised by the users in our org. Currently, users can only see their own issues (who raised it) but not other users' issues. I want to provide view only access to all users in my org irrespective of who raised the issue. How can I achieve this requirement?

Went through the below documentation, but which didn't help much.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Provide-View-only-access-for-Internal-Users-for-JSM-Issues/qaq-p/2634308

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-I-provide-non-licensed-users-Read-Only-access-to-a-Jira/qaq-p/2742779

Also tried these steps, with not much progress.

1. Log in as an Administrator:

2. Navigate to Project Roles > Add New Project Role, say 'View Only Role'
  3. Navigate to User Management:

4. Create a New Group, say 'View Only Group':

5. Add Users to the Group:

Adding the Group to Project:

1. Navigate to Project Settings:

2. Navigate to People > Add People, select the group (View Only Group) and assign 'View Only Role'
  3. Navigate to Project Permissions and modify:

• Find the Browse Projects permission.
    • Click Add under Grant Permission.
    • Select Group and choose the group created from the dropdown.
    • Click Grant.
    • Find the View Development Tools permission.
    • Click Add under Grant Permission.
    • Select Group and choose the group created from the dropdown.
    • Click Grant.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 vote
Els Bassant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2024

Hi Laxmi, 

This can be achieved by adding your users to an Organisation, and then setting the issues to be shared with a users organisation by default: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/group-customers-into-organizations/.

This will allow users to view all requests that have been shared with their organisation from the service portal. (Via "All Requests" in the top right)

The downside to this is that there is no way to bulk add existing users to an organisation in JSM. You'll have to do that manually or via automation. And if you have a large organisation you may want to turn off the customer notifications for "Organisation added". Otherwise everyone will get a notification every time a new request is created.

I'd advise against giving your customers browse permissions besides the usual portal permissions (even if your customers are internal). We are currently in that position and it is a notification nightmare scenario.

Hope this helps!

Els

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2024

@Laxmi Swamywhat @Els Bassant says is the way to go. I have set automation (triggered by isssue created) to add new users to the Organization and set the ticket Organization. Also disable the notifications mentioned.

0 votes
Christopher Yen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2024

hi @Laxmi Swamy , I'm not 100% sure this will resolve your issue but you can try checking this project setting 

2024_07_24_22_49_03_Window.png

Laxmi Swamy July 24, 2024

Thanks Christopher, this is the option currently selected for my project but still not able to view.

Christopher Yen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2024

I think the method of adding the view only group/role would require granting a JSM Agent license to work unfortunately. I may be wrong but my theory is that this is crossing from customer to JSM licensed user functionality. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events