How to migrate a service desk project from test to production instance

Namrata Kumari March 20, 2023

Hi,

I have created a Service project in JIRA test account with all new issue types and workflows.

Now, I would like to migrate the project to the production instance.

I need to make sure that I don't lose any issue type configuration or workflow configuration during migration.

Please suggest what is the best course of action.

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Oday Rafeh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2023

Hi @Namrata Kumari 

To migrate a Service Desk project from your test instance to the production instance, you can do:

Export the project from the test instance:
a. Go to Jira Administration > System > Backup Manager.
b. Select "Backup project for import" and choose the Service Desk project you want to export.
c. Click the "Create backup for import" button. Once the export is complete, you will get a . zip file containing the project data.

Export the workflows, screens, fields, and issue types:
a. Install the "Configuration Manager for Jira" app (previously known as "Project Configurator") in both your test and production instances. You can get it from the Atlassian Marketplace (note that it's a paid app).
b. Go to Jira Administration > System > Configuration Manager in the test instance.
c. Create a new export that includes the workflows, screens, fields, and issue types related to your Service Desk project. You'll get a . zip file containing the configuration data.

Import the configuration to the production instance:
a. Go to Jira Administration > System > Configuration Manager in the production instance.
b. Click "Import configuration" and upload the . zip file you exported in step 2. Review the import summary and resolve any conflicts if necessary.

Import the project data to the production instance:
a. Go to Jira Administration > System > External System Import > Jira.
b. Choose the "Import project" option and upload the . zip file you exported in step 1.
c. Map the users and statuses as necessary, then start the import process.

Once the import is complete, your Service Desk project should be available in the production instance with all its configurations and data intact

Namrata Kumari March 20, 2023

Thank you Oday, will give it a try.

Also, just checking won't these steps will be helpful for migration?https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/perform-a-cloud-to-cloud-migration-for-jira/

Oday Rafeh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2023

Hi @Namrata Kumari 

The answer I provided you is a step-by-step guide for migrating a Service Desk project from one Jira instance to another, which focuses on exporting project data and related configurations (workflows, screens, fields, and issue types) and importing them to the production instance. This process includes the use of the "Configuration Manager for Jira" app, which helps in exporting and importing the project configurations.

On the other hand, the content from the Atlassian Support page describes the process of performing a cloud-to-cloud migration for Jira, which is currently in beta. This process is specifically designed for moving users and Jira Software and Jira Work Management projects from one cloud site to another. It helps in combining data across multiple cloud sites, splitting a cloud site, duplicating a cloud site, or copying specific projects between cloud sites.

I hope this is a good answer for you as well.

Namrata Kumari March 21, 2023

Hi @Oday Rafeh ,

Thank you so much for your response. Appreciate it!

I just tried to follow the step-by-step guide provided by you in your initial comment.

So, for the first part 

Export the project from the test instance:
b. Select "Backup project for import" and choose the Service Desk project you want to export.
c. Click the "Create backup for import" button. Once the export is complete, you will get a . zip file containing the project data.

When I go to the Bacup Manager, I see 'Back Up for Cloud' and 'Back up for Server', I don't see "Backup project for import" and an option to choose the project to export.

I do see this:

Image 21-03-2023 at 09.50.jpeg

Am I missing something?

Thank you!

Oday Rafeh
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2023

Hi @Namrata Kumari , In Jira Cloud, there is no built-in option to export/import a single project and My previous steps were for Jira server but how you can do it in your cloud : 

Export your entire Jira Cloud instance:
b. Check "Include attachments, avatars, and logos in the backup" if you want to include those in the export.
c. Click "Create backup for Cloud" and wait for the backup to complete. You will receive a . zip file containing the entire Jira Cloud instance data.

Import the backup into a temporary Jira Cloud instance (you can create a new Jira Cloud trial instance for this purpose):
a. Create a new Jira Cloud instance with a trial license.
b. Go to Jira Administration > System > Restore System.
c. Upload the . zip file you exported in step 1.
d. Wait for the import process to complete.

Delete all the projects you don't need in the temporary Jira Cloud instance:
a. Go to Jira Administration > Projects.
b. Delete all the projects you don't want to migrate to the production instance, leaving only the Service Desk project.

Export the temporary Jira Cloud instance:
b. Check "Include attachments, avatars, and logos in the backup" if you want to include those in the export.
c. Click "Create backup for Cloud" and wait for the backup to complete. You will receive a . zip file containing the data for the remaining Service Desk project.

Import the Service Desk project into the production instance:
a. Go to Jira Administration > System > Restore System.
b. Upload the . zip file you exported in step 4.
c. Wait for the import process to complete.

Namrata Kumari March 21, 2023

Hi @Oday Rafeh ,

Thank you for the detailed steps.

I just want to confirm one more thing, before I proceed with the steps.

So, I just want to make sure that when we import the Service Desk project into the production instance, the existing projects in the production instance don't get deleted or overwritten.

Thank you so much for your response.

Oday Rafeh
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2023

Hi @Namrata Kumari 

Yes, that's correct. When you import the Service Desk project into the production instance, it will not delete or overwrite any existing projects. It will only add the Service Desk project to the existing projects in the production instance.

However, it's always a good practice to take a backup of your production instance before importing any data, just in case anything unexpected happens.

Hope that helps!

Namrata Kumari March 23, 2023

Thank you for your response.

But these steps didn't help. I create a test instance(free trial) and imported the zip but the projects in my free trial jira instance got overwritten.

I am now not comfortable with moving forward with migrating it to Production.

I will be doing it manually now to be safe. :(
Thanks for all the help.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events