Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manage custom fields between the Customer Portal Screen and Create Issue screen

Ed Parker July 6, 2021

I am currently setting up JSM and adding all the custom fields that we need for service requests.  The problem I am finding is that I need different fields available for this issue type depending on the request type that would be selected.  That's simple enough in the customer portal and agent views as you can simply hide the fields that aren't needed but if you use the Create button in the Jira Project UI then people are displayed every field I have created for the service request issue type.  Is there a way of sorting or hiding the fields so that when you select the JSM Project and then the relevant request type it filters out all the fields that are applied to that request type? 

The only thing I can think of is to have lots of different issue types but then I think that is going to be complicated to maintainCreate issue via Jira Project UI.png?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2021

This is why you need to instruct the agents to use Raise a request rather than the create button.

Ed Parker July 6, 2021

Thanks for your response Jack.  Where us the Raise a Request button in Jira?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2021

It is in the sidebar of each JSM project. It directs the agent to the portal request screen where they can choose the request type and set the reporter to the appropriate customer if desired.

Thomas Björklund July 6, 2021

In your Service Project, the 'Raise a request' button is at the top of the left column, underneath Queues

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 9.47.24 AM.png

This will open up your customer service portal, which is where you can create all sorts of forms for different projects and ideas. 

Ed Parker July 6, 2021

@Thomas Björklund @Jack Brickey 
I cannot see button on my project.  Any ideas as to why?

Screenshot 2021-07-06 145402.png

Do you know if a 'Portal' has been setup within your instance? 

Ed Parker July 6, 2021

@Thomas Björklund If I go into Channels and then click on the help center it takes me to the customer portal.  Is that what you mean?

Yes, that is the same thing. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

Ah…I ran into this awhile back. This is an ITSM project and the raise a request does not exist there. I do not understand the logic of this TBH and need to discuss with some Atlassian’s to better understand if this is by design, and if so why, or some oversight that will be addressed.

you can also setup a custom url to go to your help center. for example: your.co/helpdesk 

Ed Parker July 6, 2021

FYI, I have raised a support ticket as it surely can't be missing by design

https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/23/JST-674473 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

I am reaching out to us and Atlassian colleagues as well. Please post any information you get back from Atlassian here and I will do the same. It may be by design I just don’t know exactly the reasoning.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

Here is the other post where I engaged on the same topic. Angelica, from Atlassian, responded explaining basically exactly what we have determined here. Not-able-to-find-Raise-a-Request-in-agent-portal 

Ed Parker July 6, 2021

Thanks @Jack Brickey 

I guess, to answer my question, all the custom fields that are currently assigned to the create service request screen that are not required for a specific request type cannot be hidden and agents will need to use the customer portal in order to raise a request without trawling through a huge amount of fields that don't apply

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

You cannot hide fields based on request type. You can define what fields are shown on an issue type level. I guess the question you need to ask yourself is do you care about the extra fields that appear in the view screen? can you train your agents to fill in the proper fields based on the request type? If so then they can use the create button otherwise use the portal.

Ed Parker July 9, 2021

As an update I have been in contact with Jira support who have said the following

"This is expected behaviour as per the jira design the Raise a Request is not available for the IT service management however it is available for the General service project."

The below feature request has been raised
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-10149

Like Jack Brickey likes this
0 votes

To help you with "I need different fields available for this issue type depending on the request type that would be selected."

each request type is its own form on the help center. 

each Request type Form, can have its own custom fields and automations to what happens to them after the form is filled out. 

you can automate each form to route to its own end project. 

for example, 

you have 4 request types:

IT Help,

Purchase something. 

File a bug with Engineering

Other..

You can set up IT help to stay in the help center (JSM) 

Purchase,  workflow with approval process.

File Bug, sent to engineering project

Other, can generate an email to HR/Operations for general questions..

There are countless ways to automate and customize this.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events