Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create issues using Automation and set due dates of created issues based on Parent/trigger is

Karen Corbeill March 22, 2022

I'm building a system for our on-boarding process. How I've been doing it is that I have a rule set up that generates a series of Epics, which is triggered when a specific issue is created.

I want to have a Due Date set on the trigger issue and use that date to set the due dates of each of the Epics that are created. The due dates can either be the same due date as the trigger issue, but ideally I'd be able to use smart values to set the dates as X days before or after the due date of the trigger issue.

The goal is to set the Due date of the trigger issue to be a new employee's start date, and then use smart values to set the due dates of all the automatically created issues so that they are relative to the new employee's start date.

I can't figure out how to use the date in the due date field of a trigger issue to change the values in fields of issues created by an automation rule.

1 answer

0 votes
Karen Corbeill March 22, 2022

I figured something out that worked. The main rule trigger is when an issue is created that meets a certain condition.

The actions are to create all these new epics.

I was then able to create a branch for "All created issues" and have it edit the issue fields for Due Date and copy from the trigger issue. It's important that the branch is at the end, after all the issues have been created. It doesn't work if you put the branch first.

Screenshot from 2022-03-22 15-32-45.png

For my subsequent rules that each create issues within each epic (a separate rule for each epic), I was able to use this branch rule and have the "due date copy from Epic issue". Each issue created under these rules has an "Epic Link of Copy from trigger issue", and those rules are manually triggered from within each correct Epic.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events