Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change all fields on Jira?

Edgardo Ibarra November 13, 2023

Hey there! 

We have a lot of fields in Jira that we don't use. I created a new field scheme, but I can't find where to select or add the fields I want to the scheme. I also don't know how to apply the scheme to the issue types I want so that I can change the fields of all the issue types we use in bulk.

It has to do with the field configuration?

Can anyone help me with this?

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 09.20.51.pngScreenshot 2023-11-13 at 09.21.12.png

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2023

Hi @Edgardo Ibarra

All fields are always displayed in the field configuration. What you can do with a field configuration is decide if a fields is hidden or visible and required or optional. With the "Hide" links on the right you can hide a field. Issues in the projects using the field configuration will not display that field.

Personally I barely use field configurations unless I need to make a field required outside of the workflow.
It is easier to and (in my opinion) to add/ remove fields from your screens.

The difference between hiding a field in the configuration and removing it from a screen:

• Hidden in the config means the field will not be displayed even if it contains a value already
  • Remove from the screen: field will not be available on the screen but if it contains a value it will still be displayed

Now if you do want to use field configurations you need to add the field configuration to a field configuration scheme. In the scheme you tell Jira which issue type to use for which field configuration. And you tie the field configuration scheme to the project.

Edgardo Ibarra November 13, 2023

Hi Charlie, Thanks for your help and suggestion.

As I understand it, it is better to edit the default screen (which is the one we're using right now) and add or remove the fields that we are no longer using, rather than removing them altogether from the configuration fields. This will allow us to keep the information that we may need in the future. This is to avoid hiding one by one in the configuration fields.

My only question doing this is, can I apply the screen that has the fields that I need to all the fields in the project? I'm sure I can but i'm not seeing where.

Thanks!

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2023

Hi Edgardo,

The structure of screens and fields is as follows:

A project uses a issue type screen scheme. (it can be shared by multiple projects)

An issue type screen scheme has 1 or multiple screen schemes

A screen scheme has 1 or multiple screens. This way you can choose which screen to use for editing, viewing and creating.

The simplest form is 1 issue type schreen scheme with 1 screen scheme with 1 screen. But this really depends on your setup.

I don't know if I really understand your question. But their is no "bulk apply" for configurations like this I'm afraid.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events