Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically populate issue fields based on issue's description

Deleted user January 31, 2023

Hi everyone,

I want to populate the 'Department' drop-down field based on the issue description. 

Example -

Issue Description:
Employee Name: FirstName LastName - ‎ Employee Location: USA - ‎ Employee Department: Marketing - ‎ Employee Title: Graphic Designer - ‎ ‎Employee Personal Email: testuser@gmail.com - Employee Manager: FirstName LastName 

Automation grabs 'Marketing' from the issue description and puts it into the 'Department' field

Please be aware, Department is a drop-down field

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user February 2, 2023

‎ ‎ 

1 vote
Vamsi Kandala
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2023

Hi @[deleted]

If I understand correctly, you want to populate the 'Department' drop down field every time the ticket was created.

Does the field will have a single value every time or do you want to keep appending the 'Department' field as the tickets get created?

If it is the first scenario and if the issue description always follows the above template, then you can use the combination of automation rule and smart values.

Enclosing the article of various examples to use with string smart values.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-text-fields/

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Vamsi

Deleted user January 31, 2023

Hi Vamsi, the Department field has specific values in it.

I've tried {{issue.description.substringBetween("Department:"," -")}}{{issue.Department}} but it doesn't work for drop-down fields

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events