cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically add a group to users without giving product access

Andrew Middleton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 19, 2022

Hi

We're running 2 service desks (an internal and external desk) desk under separate projects using Jira Service Management.

Both projects have the "Customer Permissions" > "Service project access" setting "Customers added by agents and admins" to prevent customers of each service desk being able to see the other service desk (i.e. External customers should not see the Internal Service Desk").

Customers of the External service desk are created as customers under organizations, have usernames and passwords, and onboarding of customers and access of the portal work fine.

Customers of the Internal service desk log in using SSO with Microsoft accounts. In order to access the internal service desk customers need to be a member of a Jira group "internal-customers". This Jira group gives them the "Service Desk Customers" role in the Internal Service Desk project. We're doing this rather than allowing access to anyone with an account as we don't want the internal desk to be visible to external customers in the portal.

I would like to automatically add new Jira users (i.e. accounts with "Site Access" in the User Management section of Jira) to the "internal-customers" (to give them the Service Desk Customers project role). This doesn't seem to be possible.

If I make the "internal-customers" group the default group of the Jira Service Management product, and give new users product access I can achieve the desired behaviour however this causes the users to consume a licence (even though they are only customers - not agents).

Is there a way to add new Jira users to a default group without giving them product access?

Currently we're needing to ask internal service desk users to sign up using their Microsoft account, they are then given a message in the service desk portal saying they have access to no service projects (see screenshot), we then manually add them to the "internal-customers" group, then they can see the portal and raise requests.

This is very clunky!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2022

Hello @Andrew Middleton,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Thank you for sharing the details of your environment. Your settings are perfect for cases where it’s necessary to have “private” projects for each type of customer.

When it comes to default group access of a project, users that belong to the group, will count towards the license and will be considered as an agent.

Internal users can be customers, they just need to have site access, so after they log in using the SSO, they will be redirected to the customer portal.

In this case, it would be necessary to disable the product access so they are not automatically added to any group once they are invited and then manually add them to the internal-customers group, but this group can’t be a default one and can't be listed under the Jira Service Management (User management > Product access).

Is there a way to add new Jira users to a default group without giving them product access?

No, it’s not possible. The purpose of the default group is to give internal access to users so they can work on projects, view tickets, and so on.

There is a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:

Please, click on vote for this issue and also watch to receive updates from our product managers.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events