Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to apply Jira automation to take value from one field into another ?

Mohammad Munirud Doja December 30, 2022

I have a Jira board containing issues with 2 People fields: Developer and QA. I want to apply Jira automation to my board such that whenever a ticket moves from In Progress to Testing(or between any status for that matter), it automatically picks up the value from QA(or Developer) and put it in the Assignee field.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2022

Hi @Mohammad Munirud Doja,

You can simply copy the value from one field to another like this:

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 10.35.21.pngI don't have a QA field in my test instance, so used responsible instead. But the idea is exactly the same.

With the edit issue action, select the Assignee field as the field you would like to update. With the ... button next to it, select COPY. And then you can select the desired source field as you can see in the example above.

Hope this helps! 

Thanks for the answer. I tried this method, however i am only able to see Assignee, Creator and Reporter as option for me, as per the screenshot. Is there anyway by which i can see the other fields (like Developer and QA) as well ? These two fields are already added in the issues settings.

Screenshot 2022-12-30 113943.png

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2022

Hi @Mohammad Munirud Doja,

Can you check / confirm that these other fields are single user custom fields?  If they aren't that's most likely why they do not appear and why you won't be able to use them as such.

Those fields were not set to single user field, and so i set them. But unfortunately i still am not able to see those fields in that drop down menu.

FYI this is one of my issue types, just incase it helps somehow.

Screenshot 2022-12-30 120111.png

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2022

That's a team managed project. Custom fields in that type of projects are restricted to that project only, which is most likely why they are not available in your automation rule.

As a workaround, you may want to try using a smart value instead, though I'm not sure of the outcome with your project type either. Instead of trying to copy the field value, rather choose set and then enter:

{{Developer.accountId}}

This worked like a charm. Thank you so much!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events