Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does billing for extension works?

Jarrod April 6, 2024

Hi Everyone,

The pricing for the Jira products is straight forward. For extensions, I am little puzzled.

For example:

Most Extensions are free for 0-10 users. Once you exceed that am I then getting billed for the Jira Product + the Extensions? The other component I've noticed is that billing is per user and not agent. 

My concern is that Jira has a lot of okay features out of the bot but if you really want to use this platform to it's fullest extent, you need to use apps from the marketplace. As you get more users, that will start to add up quickly.

If someone can please break down the billing for marketplace apps. That would be awesome.

Thanks 

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2024

Hi @Jarrod Lovas and welcome to the Community!

Billing for extensions (or apps, to use the proper term) is a bit complex, but pretty straightforward once you get the basics.

An app follows the number of users for the product family they are for. Suppose you have 25 Confluence users and you add e.g. a diagramming app to Confluence, then you will be charged for the app at 25 users too, as that is the number of paid Confluence users.

I mentioned product family, as it is slightly more complex for Jira. If you have paid subscriptions for e.g. Jira Software, Jira Work Management and Jira Service Desk and you install a Jira app, the app will be charged at the highest number of users across those Jira products. This is because Jira is a platform that has a lot of shared cross-product features. Suppose you have 10 JSM agents, 50 Jira Software users and 25 Jira Work Management users and you install a reporting app for Jira, then this will be charged at 50 users - since this is the highest number of users you have for a product of the Jira family.

Hope this helps!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2024

Adding to this...

The billing is based on "licensed" users. For Jira Service Management that would be Agents. Billing does not count JSM Customers as "users" for billing purposes for the Jira product or the apps.

Like # people like this
Jarrod April 7, 2024

Thanks Walter.

I suspected that was the case, I could not find anything to confirm that. 

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2024

@Jarrod Lovas -

Welcome to the community, as @Walter Buggenhout stated very well on the add-on pricing guideline.

In many cases, if you visit any add-on page in the Marketplace, you can always estimate the cost out for your site via the Pricing tab + in the tab you can see the pricing based on user-tiers "View pricing for different user tiers".   You simply need to use the highest number of licenses that you have in your Atlassian product subscriptions (i.e. JSW/JSM/JWM etc..)

Hope this also helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS