Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set Default Assignee on a project - Jira Service Management

Gordon Fang September 16, 2021

I am using Jira Service Management.  In project settings-> Summary, Default Assignee: Unassigned under Roles.  How can I set a team member or Project Lead to be the default assignee?

4 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2021

Hi @Gordon Fang and welcome!

Did you try to add any person on the field Default Assignee on your project's details? You can always start typing his/her name to find it quicker. 

Michael Green May 30, 2022

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_  Your answer is wrong according to my testing.  For a Jira Service Management project the only options under 

Projects / <project > / Project settings

for field 'Default Assignee' are:

1. Project Lead

2. Unassigned

i.e. you CANNOT specify another user to be the default assignee.

Or have I missed something ?

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2022

Hi @Michael Green 

No, my answer was correct :)

First of all, Gordon's question was about setting a default assignee. Well, you do that from project settings > details:

default assignee.png

As you have clearly saw on your own, there are only two selections:

• Project Lead and
  • Unassigned

If you set the default assignee to project lead, then you can choose any default assignee you want, by changing the default assignee field. Is it now any clearer?

Let me know!

Regards,
Alex

Like # people like this
7 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2021

@Gordon Fang -

Welcome to the community.

In Project Settings, go to "Users and Roles">>"Edit Default", you will be able to set the default assignee to Project Lead.

2021-09-16_14-51-36.png

NOTE - User used set for project lead should typically a member of your project's Administrators role + he or she should also are part of Service Desk Team members (meaning he/she has an agent license).

Hope this help

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Gordon Fang September 17, 2021

I am using JSM free version and could not find Edit Default in Project Settings.  different version maybe?

Like # people like this
Michael Green May 30, 2022

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin  Your answer is wrong according to my testing.  For a Jira Service Management project the only options under 

Projects / <project > / Project settings

for field 'Default Assignee' are:

1. Project Lead

2. Unassigned

i.e. you CANNOT specify another user to be the default assignee.

Or have I missed something ?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2022

@Michael Green -

It was my missed on the old reply as I was referring to Jira On-prems by mistake.  For JSM Cloud - via Project settings > Details this is where you can assign project lead and set the default assignee to the project lead.

Here are a few ways to to set default issue assignee (I assumed you already are aware of them):

1) Customize the WF using post function calls to set issue assignee at issue creation process.

2) Create Automation for Jira rule to set issue assignee where the rule is triggered on issue created event.

3) Implement Components setup for the project in question, where you can set issue assignee based on project default, project lead, component lead, or leave unassigned.

2022-05-30_21-54-50.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Christopher Mantell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 29, 2022

I have tried setting the post functions in the workflow to set the assignee to a particular person when an issue is created but it doesn't seem to be working. 

I don't want to assign the default assignee to the product lead - they are two different people for our project.

I've created a component and set the component lead to the person that I want to be the default assignee to the tasks but I'm not sure how I would implement that into the creation part of the workflow.  Can you explain how to do that?

Like Felix Mohr likes this
2 votes
Floris.vanderZwaard May 19, 2022

As far I can see on Jira Server you can ONLY set the Project Lead role as default assignee or else 'Unassigned'.

0 votes
Luke Anderson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 9, 2024

I also only have the option of Project Lead or Unassigned when I edit the Default Assignee field in our project. Typing in a name of someone else who is on the project does not populate anything.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events