Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I manually change the status of an issue?

Mandi Chiancone
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2015

8 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2015

Amanda,

To change an issue status you should hit one of the workflow transition buttons at the top bar (refer the screenshot below).

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 12.13.11 PM.png

There are other ways to change an issue status such using bulk change.

Hope it helps!

Cheers

L.F

Alan Horne January 24, 2018

Not there.  Now what?

Like Frank Rasche likes this
Afsal 3PRO September 6, 2018

not there in menu

Mark Kamoski August 21, 2020

All,

I could NOT get the "Accepted Answer" to work, or any of the others, as I found them to be WAY too complicated, for me, so I opted for something "Dirt Simple" here.

Here is a VERY simple and easy way to change status back to "Not Started" here.

But, this is a bit "dirty" so it may not be for all.

1. Change from "In Progress" to "Completed" here.

2. Change from "Completed" to "Re-Open" here.

3. See the status is back to "Not Started" here.

4. Done.

This works great for me, and just use a comment to explain the Completed/ReOpen here.

Note, our workflow is stock and simple for Tasks...

> Not Started, >In Progress, > Completed

Yes, I admit, our process is a bit "loose"...

...but...

...it works, it is simple, it is quick, it is easy, and it is sufficient.

Working software over comprehensive documentation.

HTH.

Thanks.

-- Mark Kamoski

7 votes
Timo Pitkäranta June 21, 2017

If you don't want to create custom workflow for Service Desk, and just want manually to change the status, you can try automation rules

1. Open Project Settings > Automation
  2. Add Rule > Custom rule
  3. Name: Toggle Worfklow Status
  4. Conditions
    1. WHEN: Comment added
    2. IF Comment is internal & Comment contains Toggle Status & Issue Matches status = "Waiting for Support" THEN Transition issue Respond to Customer
    3. ELSE IF Comment is internal & Comment contains Toggle Status & Issue Matches status = "Waiting for Customer" THEN Transition issue Respond to Support
  5. Enable Rule: Yes
  6. Save

automation-rule.png

Now when you go write internal comment "Toggle Status" to ticket, the worfklow status changes from "Waiting for Support" to "Waiting for Customer" and vice versa

IT Manager July 16, 2019

Nice one, that's thinking outside the box :) Or inside 5 boxes as this case may be.

Like # people like this
Sam Borman September 10, 2019

Thank you Timo, loving this workaround.

Like Timo Pitkäranta likes this
3 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2019

You can change the status of an issue even if there is not a defined transition for it. It involves exporting the issue as a CSV, editing the CSV, and then re-importing it. See the steps below.

• Run a JQL search like this "key=MYPROJECT-12345"
  • Export the issue as CSV (all fields).
  • Edit the CSV and change the Status (and if the status is a closed state you should change Resolution as well)
  • Go to System -> External System Import -> CSV
  • Import Issue Key, Summary, Resolution (if you are updating to a closed state), and Status and it should update the Resolution and Status on your issue. It will leave the other fields the way they are.
Sascha Ziemann March 27, 2019

Jira server has no option to export to CSV.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2019

After you do a JQL search you should see it under the export menu.

Capture.PNG

Sascha Ziemann March 27, 2019

Thanks! I was looking in the issue itself.

Like Davin Studer likes this
Chen_Xia December 31, 2019

I cann't map Status ans Issue key

is there any solutions?

Untitled1.png

1 vote
Dennis May 5, 2017

Hi Amanda, you are referring to the standard ootb workflow. A jira administrator can create an own custom workflow for you with transitions, automation rules & status based on your requirements. BR! Dennis

0 votes
Deleted user April 24, 2019

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/

I asked a jira rep to help and he did it for me, nice!

IT Manager July 16, 2019

Damn, that means I don't get to see the solution :(

Alastair Kitchen August 15, 2019

When using workflows is there a way to set the status of an issue from the issue view without going through each step?

e.g. work flow is 1,2,3,4,5 is there a way to go from 1 to 5 without having to set 1 to 2, then 2 to 3 etc..

Sebastian Kurrek November 8, 2019

You have to ad a transition from status 1 to status 5 to achieve this or use simplified workflows where you can change from every status to every other status. 

The idea of transitions is to control from which status you can change to another status. 

0 votes
Anatoly Spektor December 18, 2018

Instead of writing about it, I thought it might make sense to show it. Please take a look at this video.

0 votes
Vincent Huynh September 20, 2017

Hello Amanda,

Another thing I would like to note is that all JIRA status can only be changed to another status via "transitions". When you are in an issue, you will only see the buttons for the transitions that are available from that status. For example, the "Respond to customer" was a transition that  moved the issue from its previous status to its current status of "waiting for support". If you do not see any more transition buttons in this status, this is because the current workflow you have set does not have any transitions out of this status.  

Let us know if you have more questions on this!

-Vincent

0 votes
Mandi Chiancone
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2015

Hi Luciano,

Thank you for getting back with me.  I didn't have the option to manually change the status when I selected 'Respond to customer' the status automatically changed.  Do you happen to have a screenshot of where I can select the status options?  For example, I would like to change the status to 'Requires Additional Resource' but when I select 'Respond to customer' I do not have any additional options to choose from.

Status.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events