How do I convert a customer to a user?

Brad Crandell February 19, 2015

I tried to create a JIRA user, but found that their email address was already in JIRA because they were a Service Desk customer.  I cannot add them as a new JIRA user now, nor can I figure out how to change their account to a user account to give access to JIRA items.

Any help is appreciated.

--- Edit ---

Here's a screenshot.  The buttons to add a group and to set them as a JIRA or Confluence user are disabled.

2015-02-19_16h53_27.png

4 answers

1 vote
kitkat
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2015

First, you need to make sure you have the licensing available to add them as a jira-user (as they will take up a license).

In Cloud, you will need to delete them as a Customer (or alter their email address, the system won't let you use the email address twice), and then actually create them as a User. They cannot be converted or moved in the Cloud environment.

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2015

Ah, I didn't notice Brad was on Cloud! Thanks.

Brad Crandell February 20, 2015

Thanks for the tip. We do have licenses available. He had issues attached to his account, so I changed his email address. Now, however when I create the new account, it is confusing the two accounts in the UI. Clicking either account in the User Mgt page (Service Desk customer or JIRA user) takes me to his old SD account. I think I need to just contact support at this point to help me see what's going on.

0 votes
K_ Yamamoto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2017

We can convert a customer to a user by following the procedure below.

1. Login as an admin
  2. Confirm a target user is listed in Customers
    • Open Screen+Shot+2016-08-24+at+15.49.08.png
    • Screenshot_2017-01-16_09_18_46.png
  3. Open a management page of the target user
    • Fill the target user in Invite team > open give them access linkScreenshot_2017-01-16_09_19_05.png
  4. Uncheck Restricted portal access
    • From Application access
    • Screenshot_2017-01-16_09_19_47.png
  5. Grant an arbitrary privilege
    • From Application access
    • Screenshot_2017-01-16_09_20_03.png

Cheers!

0 votes
Nathan Smith September 16, 2015

Was this ever resolved?  We are having the same issue with some users

Brad Crandell September 16, 2015

No, I don't think it was, though I haven't checked on it in a while.

0 votes
Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2015
  1. Find their account in System > Users
  2. Add them to jira-users

Brad Crandell February 19, 2015

Thanks, but the Add group button is disabled. See the screenshot I just added.

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2015

Are you over your user quota?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events