Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use the value of one custom date field to fill a different custom date field?

Brian Stephenson October 27, 2022

I have an automation set that will create a new maintenance ticket whenever a change request that meets criteria is approved.

The issue I am running into: The team who controls the Change Request process uses custom date fields "Change Start Date" and "Change Completion Date", while our operations team uses separate custom fields "Start Time" & "End Time" for their maintenance issue types.

Is it possible to use the value of the CR start and end time fields, to fill the value of the Maintenance Start and End time fields.

Below

{
"fields": {
"customfield_10068": {{triggerissue.fields.customfield_10022}},
"customfield_10069": {{triggerissue.fields.customfield_10023}}
}
}

"customfield_10022": "Change Start Date"

"customfield_10023": "Change Completion Date"

"customfield_10068": "Start Time"

"customfield_10069": "End Time"

Modifying the request / issue types to use the same field is not possible in this case, even though I'm sure that would resolve the issue.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2022

Hi @Brian Stephenson ,

what does the output of the audit log look like? could you share a screenshot?

Furthermore:
Smart values are case sensitive and as far as I know the „issue“ in „triggerIssue“ needs a capital „i“.

could you please try the following:

"customfield_10068": {{triggerIssue.customfield_10022}}

Best
Stefan

Brian Stephenson October 31, 2022

@Stefan Salzl @Benjamin @Joseph Chung Yin 

Thanks for the quick responses, the information you provided will certainly help with other projects I'm working on.

This particular issue was resolved with the following change:

{
"fields": {
"Start Time": "{{issue.fields.customfield_10022}}",
"End Time": "{{issue.fields.customfield_10023}}"
}
}

Seems I was overthinking the location of the source value I needed to transfer to my new issue.

I've just run a few tests and all is working.

Like Benjamin likes this
1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2022

@Brian Stephenson 

To supplement what @Benjamin stated, here are the screenshots to copy from issue actions for your reference -

2022-10-27_22-37-27.png

2022-10-27_22-37-43.png

Hope this give you some ideas.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

1 vote
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2022

HI @Brian Stephenson ,

This is possible through scripting and automation to copy a field to another field. You can trigger upon update issue event.

Here's a similar post that describes similar to what you are trying to accomplish.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/copy-field-value-to-a-custom-field/qaq-p/2009494

-Ben

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events