Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I implement a user license drop-off after a certain period of no activity?

Bailey Hecksel February 6, 2023

Hello all,

Our company had previously used ServiceNow where it was configured to automatically remove user (agent-side) licenses after 30 days of no activity. Due to our JSM license cap I'd like to impliment a similar feature in our Jira Cloud instance as I'm sure we have users with licenses that should be removed and given to other users. 

The best option I've found so far is exporting all users and filtering by those "last seen" in JSM, then removing licenses from those with the oldest dates.

Any ideas on how to automate this? Thanks!

3 answers

2 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2023

Currently it is not possible to automate because there is not API endpoint that allow you to remove product access, all you can do currently is deactivate a user. Atlassian is working on expanding the admin API and is currently scheduled for sometime during 2023 according to the public roadmap.

Bailey Hecksel February 6, 2023

Thank you, Mikael!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2023

Thanks for this post @Bailey Hecksel  and the reply @Mikael Sandberg 

I believe one way to automate it is to user the User Administration API - and add or remove from the jira-servicedesk group (which whichever group is link to the Product access)

I have tried this in the past and worked in terms of a clean up but have not managed to complete this as a long term solution.

If Atlassian or Community experts could post an update / workaround, it would be great. I would love this too.

Bailey Hecksel February 8, 2023

Thanks, Yatish!

On another note, we use Opsgenie which also utilizes JSM licenses. Some of our Opsgenie users don't use JSM, but have JSM licenses assigned just for Opsgenie.

If we implemented a solution using the User Administration API I'd be concerned that Opsgenie users might have their JSM licenses stripped if the API doesn't see Opsgenie data. I know the Jira user export does not have any data regarding Opsgenie usage.

Like Yatish Madhav likes this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2023

Thanks @Bailey Hecksel - we have a similar set up of users using JSM and OpsGenie ... True. I am also not sure as I have not had a chance to see the impace if this is done via API.

0 votes
Sara K July 31, 2023

Hey @Bailey Hecksel - does your company use a SaaS management tool like License Logic? We've used their software before and they've been able to reclaim unused licenses for our various software vendors automatically using AI. 

Not sure if this is your exact use case but figured I'd chime in. Let me know if you have any more questions about my experience using them.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events