Is there a way to export comments in multiple JIRA issues into an excel sheet?

RG August 19, 2021

I'm trying to export every field from JIRA to migrate it to another system, but having trouble finding a way to export comments.

5 answers

1 accepted

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2022

Hello, 

For everyone who gets on this thread, the steps below provide the correct instructions to properly export all the fields (together with the comments) from a specific set of issues on your Jira Cloud site in the CSV format:

1. Configure a JQL query returning the issues you would like to export. You can follow the instructions of the documentation below to know where/how to create the query you need:
    Use advanced search with Jira Query Language (JQL) 
  2. Once you create and run your JQL query, click on the "Export" button at the top-right corner of the search page where you created your query and select the option "Export Excel CSV (All fields)":
    Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 12.26.05.png

Following the steps above, the exported CSV file will properly contain all your issue fields, including each comment made. Each comment will be mapped in a different "Comment" column in chronological order.

Thanks!

Katrijn Op De Beeck February 23, 2023

Dear Petter,

I have created a project on Jira free version, and we now need to migrate this project to our client's cloud, where they have a paid version of Jira. 

Each user story contains added fields like 'test script' and 'acceptance criteria'. Furthermore the complete history (peer review comments) are in the comments section. And we also have lots of attachments in each story.

Our IT support tells me I can export the comments, but I cannot import them on the client's Jira. Any clue how to do this without manually needing to update >200 user stories?

1 vote
Coby Fuller August 20, 2021

When exporting to a CSV, if you select 'Export Excel CSV (all fields)', it includes the comments. Steps

1. Navigate to advanced search and query for target issues
  2. Select Export
  3. Choose 'Export Excel CSV (all fields)'

Dear Coby, 

I have created a project on Jira free version, and we now need to migrate this project to our client's cloud, where they have a paid version of Jira. 

Each user story contains added fields like 'test script' and 'acceptance criteria'. Furthermore the complete history (peer review comments) are in the comments section. And we also have lots of attachments in each story.

Our IT support tells me I can export the comments, but I cannot import them on the client's Jira. Any clue how to do this without manually needing to update >200 user stories?

1 vote
MobilityStream
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2021

Hi Ravi,

Our Excel Online Integration add-on can export comments to the Cloud version of Excel:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220350/excel-online-integration?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

I'm sure there are others. Hope that helps.

Best regards,

- The Mobility Team

RG August 19, 2021

@MobilityStream We have on premise JIRA

MobilityStream
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2021

Works with Jira On-Prem too. Here is the link to the server add-on:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220350/excel-online-integration?tab=overview&hosting=server

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 23, 2021

Hey @RG and All,

Better Excel Exporter also exports Jira comments as well as other non-regular Jira data (like issue history, worklog, other meta data) into custom Excel spreadsheets. Better Excel  Exporter is an established (on the Marketplace for 8 years!) and professional Excel exporting and reporting solution for Jira Server, DC (and coming soon for Jira Cloud).

Check out Excel export samples and the documentation and let me know if you have questions!

jira-issues-selected-fields-with-comments.png

Hi @Levente Szabo _Midori_ 

Thanks for the clear explanation. 

0 votes
Sebastian Torstenson February 9, 2022

Hi,

You need to go to a Filters or Advanced search for it to work. Doing it from Issues will not export the comments. It seems like a bug.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2021

Comments don't export in Excel. There may be a plug-in that will do it. I was told long ago (2007-8) that it is because all the comments for an issue are stored in one entry in the database and the UI handles making them readable so exporting them to a csv/excel file would make the unreadable 

RG August 19, 2021

@Joe Pitt Could you please share plug-in name?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2021

I just said there MAY be a plugin. I'm not aware of one. You need to search the marketplace. 

Coby Fuller August 20, 2021

When exporting to a CSV, if you select 'Export Excel CSV (all fields)', it includes the comments

Like Srikanth Ganipisetty likes this

Suggest an answer