Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I edit the blacklist of the users on the portal?

Cube November 28, 2023

Hello!

I use Jira service management. I receive tickets from multiple users, before raising a request, user must make an authorisation on Attlassian system. As such, any user after email authorisation on Attlassian system can create a request on our portal.

Unfortunately, there are some users who willingly spam with the requests/duplicates or just write insulting requests. 

I want to block such users by their email address to a blacklist so they are are not able to raise a request any more on our portal. 

And I can not understand which Jira setting is responsible for blocking such users. I tried to add some email addresses to a blocklist (Project settings -> Email requests -> manage blocklist) (I have admin rights in the project, but the only creator can edit this blocklist) but adding specific email address does not work. The users still can raise request even being a blocklist.

Also I tried to delete the users in "People" settings. But I can not always find the necessary email address at this setting and it does not work too.

So which Jira setting is responsible for blocking unwilling users. Or is there some external solution from Jira marketplace?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Marcus Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2023

Hi @Cube

One way you could achieve this is by adjusting the Customer Permissions settings in the project settings. Under Channel Access, change the "Control who can submit requests to this project by email, widget, or the portal." If you change the setting to Restricted, only people directly invited to the project will be able to submit requests. Ofcourse now you will need to make sure you add all of your legitimate users. 

Also, another thing to try would be to navigate to the admin portal and Customer access. Under Portal Access you can change it so customer can not create their own accounts. Ofcourse that will affect all your service desks if you have multiple and you'll need to create new accounts on behalf of users. 

There may be other ways but those are the first two that come to mind. Jira_CustomerPermissions.pngJira_CustomerPermissions_2.png

Cube November 30, 2023

Hi @Marcus Jones !

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

I've read about this method in Jira documentation. Do I correctly understand that if I set Customer settings like this then I will need to add the users manually into my organisation in order to give them access to create request o the portal?

Marcus Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2023

Yes that is correct, which could make it quite the task to keep up with that. I am still doing some research to find different ways. Funny, which I see the Blacklist documentation, it should work for your use case, so not sure why that isn't giving you the expected results. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events